Angle grinder recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently building a brick wall (standard stock bricks) and will be relaying our patio (approx. 2inch thick slabs). Has anyone got any recommendations for suitable cutting tools?

I'm looking at buying either a 115mm or 230mm grinder and am unsure which size to go for. The current front runner is a Wolf 230mm:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolf-230mm-...KQ66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346747344&sr=8-1

...I should point out that I've never used an angle grinder before though.

All advice welcome!

Sponsored Links
If you are cutting slabs, then you really want a 230mm cutter not the smaller one.

Be very careful if you have not used one, as they snatch and twist and can catch you unawares

Get one with a soft start if you can. And a long lead

MOST IMPORTANT-- go for the right diamond blade.
Dont go for cheapo blades- they wear our quickly and get overheated and wobble about-- so dangerous.
Go for Marcrist blades every time --they are the best.
Yes- they cost more- but they do the job better, quicker and most of all are safer to use.

I use diamond blades of all sizes every day and know what I am talking about .

There are plenty of good blades around and I'm sure the one supplied will be fine for his needs.

Sponsored Links
There are plenty of good blades around and I'm sure the one supplied will be fine for his needs.

Maybe it will- maybe it wont.
I knew a guy on crutches for over a year who had a blade that he thought would be right.
He was a penny pincher.

I dont believe on compromising on safety at all.
Buy British and be safe .
I cannot stress it enough

We use the cheapest diamond blades available for the cutquicks. Don't see a lot of benefit with an expensive one wear wise.
We go through about a dozen 12" discs per year. We believe in compromising on safety, though in this case its not an issue.

Get a 230mm for sure and as said above a diamond disk, stone disks just wear far to quickly.

Just looked at HomeBase site for something else and found this http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=443874 same as the one i have and use at work with a diamond blade 3-5 times a week.

Reasonable price, does the job, soft start and adjustable handle, a De-Walt or Makita might look prettier and may last a bit longer but not sure that justifies double or triple the price.

It's got plenty of power. I bought a cheapie 20 odd years ago (Agojama) it's still going today.

We use a Bosch (blue) and have done for decades. Solid. Used every day and takes loads of abuse.

We also use a diamond blade priced at about £80-£90. Superb.

I've used cheapo diamond blades and they are really not worth the bother for a pro'. The one we have on now cuts through Staffy blues nay bother. As said the cheap ones heat up and warp and end up creating molten stuff at the point of cut without actually cutting and then wander about as they warp in the heat.

Maybe it will- maybe it wont.
I knew a guy on crutches for over a year who had a blade that he thought would be right.
He was a penny pincher.

I dont believe on compromising on safety at all.
Buy British and be safe .
I cannot stress it enough

Agree with you on buying better quality, and not compromising on safety - but couldn't disagree more about Marcrist. They were a good company, but the majority of their blades are made in China - even their top of the range MI850 is a Chinese blade (& not all that good despite its £100+ price tag)

There you go. Chinese tat. Which is why we buy cheap chinese tat in the first place with an appropiate price tag. :mrgreen:
You guys forking out hundreds of quid for a blade are getting mugged.

I use the £5 9" blades from Aldi when they come around, and they last as long as any of the expensive "pro" ones I've used

Last year I got a couple of "Blue Spot" blades from amazon (Gold ones not the silver ones) - two for £10 deal. We did a couple of massive drives with loads of cuts off just the one blade, and it still had about 4mm left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back