Cordless Angle Grinder for chasing stone wall? Plus can I use a mortar rake with stone?

Looking at the Ferrex version, whilst it might be designed around a 3mm cut, it looks looks like a thicker disc would still fit, it would eventually get to a point where the locking collar would not be fully threaded on, then and only then would it be getting unsafe. you would also need to cut slower as you would be removing more cc per cm of cut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @Mike13

Looking at your model (the cordless, right? But perhaps the spindle size would be the same as the corded...) do you think an 8mm thick blade would safely fit?

Or if anyone reading has the Parkside 125mm Corded - or a Makita - would there be any chance of doing me a favour and checking?

Many thanks

Thanks @Mike13

Looking at your model (the cordless, right? But perhaps the spindle size would be the same as the corded...) do you think an 8mm thick blade would safely fit?

Or if anyone reading has the Parkside 125mm Corded - or a Makita - would there be any chance of doing me a favour and checking?

Many thanks
You'll get 10mm in the Makita with all the threads engaged

Attachments

• 015297B6-0E70-4F79-8869-E8445FA837AE.jpeg
    015297B6-0E70-4F79-8869-E8445FA837AE.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 39
  • CA24F929-1DDB-48AB-A427-92560EF8C46E.jpeg
    CA24F929-1DDB-48AB-A427-92560EF8C46E.jpeg
    235.5 KB · Views: 54
Thanks for taking the time to do that - very kind of you @lostinthelight :)

That's good news then. Does beg the question why the manual states a 6.4mm max. thickness. Safety margin perhaps? or some other reason? Guess we'll find out if my 8mm thick disc spins off into the ether!

Sponsored Links
Well the Ferrex could safely do 7mm, one thing to consider is the extra inertia of a thicker disk makes it more likely to unwind the clamp when you stop the motor. I have had it happen occasionally when stopping a 3mm disk.

Thanks for the helpful info and the warnings. All great to know.

In my experience a disc can cut wider than its nominal width, if after making the initial slot you run end to end a few times allowing gravity to do its thing.

That's good to hear too. 8-10mm would be ideal, so I'll do some practice cuts first using a 6.4mm disc and see what actual width I end up with. If its wider as you suggest, then I'm good to go. But I'll get an 8mm disc too in case I need the extra.

Regarding fitting on the spindle.... I think I was a bit dumb yesterday. Looking at the mortar raking discs again, while they are 6.4/8mm on the outside at the diamond segments, the inner part of the discs is thinner. So should be fine.... Although still curious as to why they specify the low 3mm maximum in the Parkside manual.

Cheers

In that case even the ferrex would cope, as the 7mm is the thickness it can cope with at the clamp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back