Cordless Angle Grinder for chasing stone wall? Plus can I use a mortar rake with stone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've got some lead work coming up and will need to chase the stone wall for the flashing. I'm planning to get an angle grinder and use a 10mm thick blade like this:

Or

(or the 125mm equivalents if I get a larger grinder).

My question is will a cordless angle grinder be powerful enough or am I better getting a corded model? If going cordless, my preference would be DeWalt 18V as I've some other gear of the same.

One other question.... If once I've cut the chase it isn't quite deep enough and I can't get deeper with the grinder and disc, could I use this inside the chase to make it a little deeper? Just to be clear, the chase will be a straight line (parallel to the roof below), and will be cut through both mortar (lime) and the stone itself, as the wall is random stone.

Any help most appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much, that's really helpful.

Anyone have any thoughts on using the mortar rake to add extra depth (as per OP)?

Thanks again

I suspect that the small diameter mortar rake is going to wander badly as it digs into one side or the other, the line will end up looking like a drunkards walk.

Sponsored Links
I suspect that the small diameter mortar rake is going to wander badly as it digs into one side or the other, the line will end up looking like a drunkards walk.

OK, thanks for that - perhaps that's a non starter then. I guess I thought that if there was already a 30mm deep chase, and I was using the mortar rake inside the chase to give me additional depth, that the sides of the chase would be enough to act as a guide. Does the end of the rake do the cutting/grinding or the whole thing?

Cheers

It is the whole length, and small diameter cutting ends tend to try and dig in on one side or the other. I know when I have used a dremel carbide cutter on steel it is hard not to make it quite messy.

Just an update... I sent the manufacturer an email RE the two discs linked int he OP... They said they think that the Turbo version (second link) would be better suited than the segmented (first link). And also, that although it is hard to tell, I may need 4-5 discs for the 7-8 metres I need to do. Does that sound right?

Cheers

OK, thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to do that.

I'm going to try to fix a length of wood to the wall to help as a guide. I'm thinking it will likely impede the grinder though, and stop me getting maximum depth. So my idea was to cut a shallower channel first, remove the wood, then go over it again with the cut acting as the guide in the absence of the wood. With your tip in mind, maybe I could:

- Use the wood as a guide and cut with thin disc
- Keeping the wood in place, cut again with 10mm disc.
- Remove wood and go over again with thin disc
- Finish with 10mm disc, going over it several times if needed to get maximum depth.

Does that sound ok or is there a better order?

Also, and sorry for the basic question, but when I go over the think cut with the thicker blade, should I be aiming for the thin cut to be central to the thicker cut, or at top/bottom? If that makes sense?!?!

Thanks again

A 115m grinder will cut up to about 30mm deep, a 125mm will be about 38mm. The rake you are looking at is 40mm (max)

BTW, I haven't verified the above link.

I don't see a problem with using the timber guide though. If you use, for example, architrave, you will get pretty close. Remove the timber and the angle grinder will follow the slot.

UPDATE on the Sabrecut.

Turns out the discs probably aren't 10mm thick after all! It took a LOT of digging to find that out! I'd even had various emails with their tech discussing my intended use, within which I'd mentioned several times that I was using them because the 10mm thickness was perfect for the 10mm width chase I was planning to cut, and not a word said. Bl00dy useless! It seems the 10mm refers to the width of the diamond, NOT the width of the disc. Grrrr.

Also, it seems they are one of these companies that have two different trading names and branding styles, but with the same items, the same website, etc. That's what first got me to suspect the discs weren't 10mm. All seems a bit odd and I think I'll steer clear. For reference, the other "brand" is TopsTools.

Cheers

Not sure which 18v DeWalt grinder you have but my brushless one is a beast, easily as powerful as a corded including chasing out for lead, note the blade is 6mm thick
20230901_182135.jpg
20230901_182222.jpg
20230901_182319.jpg

Hi all

I've whittled down my choice to a Makita or a Parkside which will be in Lidl stores from Thursday. I can't start until next week and was just reading up on them. I found that:

- The Makita manual says that the maximum disc thickness is 6.4mm.

- While the Parkside says 3mm!!!

Is that a "we can't condone using a thicker disc" type maximum? Or are they saying a thicker disc physically wouldn't be compatible/won't fit? Does anyone have a 5" Makita or a Parkside they could check this on? Potentially scuppering my idea of using a thicker disc.... :(

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back