The wonders of owning an Angle Grinder

ban-all-sheds said:
breezer said:
remember i said i would recomend any one who gets one gets one with a trigger switch ( i have seen them) well

anglegrinder.gif

going to "test it" later on other angle grinder
You bought that in a shed, didn't you?

C'mon - own up...

are you sure about that? (click your refresh button)

Sponsored Links
Used to work with a larger version .... grinding, drilling, milling, turning, broaching ...... named Makino ... bit too big for the tool box .... not unaccurate, good for around four microns or so !!

pipme said:
Used to work with a larger version .... grinding, drilling, milling, turning, broaching ...... named Makino ... bit too big for the tool box .... not unaccurate, good for around four microns or so !!

Oooooh, new word!

What does 'broaching' mean???

Sponsored Links
Broaching is a method of metal removal where the tool has several teeth each a little higher than the previous .... thus when passed across a material shvings are removed very precisely ... like multiple planes .. the beauty is that the finishing teeth never take any roughing cuts .. etc.
The tool is not rotational.

On the other hand we could broach a new subject ..........

On a very serious note .. take great care with any 'grinder', it does not just 'cut' you it burns away flesh etc .... There aint likely to be any skin to 'sew' up !!! Those pretty sparks will make short work of the unprotected eyeball too, apart from catching things on fire !!
In engineering one has to be certificated to change grinding wheels above a certain diameter, bursts are notifiable... I think I am right in saying that even the smaller wheels require having attended a safety course in their use.
P

I'd like to point out that I was wearing protective goggles (not just safety specs!), amongst all other kinds of safety gear when I was doing my angle grinding. You would be pretty daft not to, the dust would hurt like heck if it got in your eyes.

Also I was wearing some pretty heavy overalls (spent a summer working for the council, they let me keep them :D ) and steelies: didn't fancy losing my toes if I dropped the grinder!

Did anyone see that "DIY accidents" programme where they had all kinds of injuries people had sustained during DIY? This one guy was cutting wood with a circular mitre saw and accidentally caught his arm in it... severed the arm just below the elbow. Luckily they managed to reconnect it but it didn't look very pleasant. Similar to what Pip was saying, a circular saw rips away at flesh instead of cutting so it doesn't leave much to sew back together. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back