Use Angle Grinder not at an angle?

the term "angle grinder" refers to the fact the drive/disc is at a in this case 90% to the motor
with the correct blade it can be used flat
now a concrete blade will probably work slower on softer material but i dont actually know
i know an abrasive disk will burn out the grinder before it will cut a large timber ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks folks.

I've returned from Toolstation and I bought the double row blue concrete disc / cup... it fits much better on my new angle grinder, but the guard is still about 1mm to 2mm 'lower' than the bottom of the disc. Maybe I can remove the guard for sanding type activities?

Anyway, the good thing is that the centre metal holder no longer protrudes out of the bottom further than the bottom of the disc... so this means it can be used as a form of sander (at least one I'm more familiar with) without doing the 'angle' thing.

I'll let you know how it went, if I'm not in hospital later.

P.S. - and I thought angle grinder was 'cos you mostly held it at an angle! Dufus.

Yes the guard is normally removed for this operation. Seems strange to say that in these days of H&S but that's the way I've always seen it done so goggles and masks are essential.
I've memories of our plant manager cursing the masons when they would return a grinder minus it's guard that they had used for spinning and had put the guard down " somewhere" :D

OK, so I've made good progress...

Column2.jpg

It's not perfect but I'm quite happy with this. I did not enjoy using the angle grinder, though. I am really, really glad I - for once - followed safety advice and wore goggles and a face mask and some gloves... the amount of fragments of stuff flying off would've easily had my eye out.

The amount of dust I've created is totally disappointing, in cleaning terms.

What I appear to have ended up with is something where the ridges are gone, and it looks quite level, I may just need to actually do a bit more filling-in with car body filler (which I know I can then sand down fine).

Sponsored Links
Gloves, goggles, and mask are a good idea for pretty much any task involving an angle grinder. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back