Use Angle Grinder not at an angle?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

After following through on my plan to level off the top of a column (see thread //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/tidy-up-level-off-outside-column.414789/) I've arrived at the point where:

I sanded it as much as I could - this did have some effect.
I put loads of car body filler gloop into the depressions.
I sanded again... quite a lot.

I was quite pleased with the intermediate result - it's a lot more level than it was before, there are hardly any depressions left, but there are one or two ridges remaining where the sander seemed to have little to no impact. This means the top of the column is not level, although it certainly appears a lot neater than before!

So, I went down to Screwfix and I bought myself an angle grinder - the Makita GA4530 - and some stone grinding discs.

Now, before I went out to buy this, I did an Internet search for "angle grind sand concrete" and found a few interesting threads and some YouTube videos...

...in one of those videos a guy is basically using an angle grinder to sand a concrete garage floor... he's just whizzing the angle grinder around and the knobbly bits of the floor are disappearing.

Yes, I thought, this is what I want!

However, my Makita GA4530 certainly does not seem to offer this facility.

When I connect everything up and put the disc on, the metal centre holder protrudes out of the bottom - it's about 5mm lower than the underside of the disk - so it seems that I must use it at an angle.

Likewise the guard of the angle grinder is about 10mm lower than the bottom of the disc, so there'd be no way that I could do what the guy in the video was doing.

Angle1.jpg

Am I missing something?

Is there a way that I can use my angle grinder as a sander, but on the level - like, at an angle of 0 degrees, rather than the 15 degrees the manual says?

Can you buy a special disc that enables any angle grinder to become a sander that you can operate level / flat?

I could remove the guard, but that doesn't seem sensible!?! But I'd still be left with a disc that is higher from the surface than the centre holder is.

Or should I not even be thinking about this as this is not what I'm supposed to be doing with this tool?

Please bear in mind it's the first angle grinder I've bought so, no, I certainly don't know what I'm doing - but I do have a dust mask and eye goggles for when I give this a shot tomorrow!

Guidance welcome.

Sponsored Links
You are using a flat grinding wheel, presumably....whereas a depressed centre or dished wheel would do what you want.
Mind you, anyone who can use an angle grinder as a sander must be a bloody genius!
A sanding grit disc, complete with a plastic backing disc, would be better, but If its largely filler you need to remove, why not use an orbital sander?
John :)

The discs I've bought were the only stone grinding option in Screwfix. Item 61431... Erbauer. I wanted the flexovit ones that I saw in my version of the catalogue, but when I got to store they were not in the catalogue there. I couldn't see anything else that seemed applicable.

The discs do have a depression in the centre, for sure, but they're not what I'd describe as conical in any way.

The ridges I want to get rid of are the original column, not filler, you're correct that the sander works fine for the filler... this stuff, I presume, is concrete. If I grind it away, I expect I'm going to want to sand it smooth(er) later.

Sponsored Links
Maybe I should have bought the Grinding Cup, 58310, for £23... it's in my version of the catalogue, not sure that I saw it in store and it's next day anyway. Says it is good for rapid removal of concrete. Looks more conical than what I have, for sure.

Can't see a plastic backing disc jumping out at me... any hints?

This looks like a bit of a send up to me.... A very good one though, hope it isn't solved too soon.... :LOL:

Pete :LOL:

I'm going to head over to Toolstation later this morning and try to pick up one of item 62515 or 36681...

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Pow...te+Grinding+Disc+100+x+22mm+Single+Row/p36681

...unless anyone helpful on here decides to warn me against it... it's what was returned when I searched for "grinding cup" so I'm hoping it is higher than the discs I have, although there are no dimensions for height provided - I'm assuming 100mm is outer diameter and 22mm is the inner diameter?

It says "For the rapid removal of concrete..." and I'm hoping I can use it 'on the level' so to speak.

Really do appreciate folk providing me with a bit of DIY guidance here.

P.S. - I assume double row (62515) means it just works harder to remove more?

Do I just press "Ignore" for people who don't wish to provide any assistance but prefer to add useless disparaging know-it-all comments?

Part of my challenge is that I don't know what I don't know... I do know that my sander had little to no impact on the ridges, despite trying for a long time and exerting a lot of pressure... so I started to look at other things... I was thinking "a file"... then I looked into Festool Saphir sandpaper and finally decided to take the plunge on an angle grinder... so I did do my research but you can always come a cropper (as I've proven with my disc selection / lack of knowledge) so it's great to come on here and get proper advice. I'd never even heard of a "surform" or "carbo stone".

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back