Angle Grinder Spindle Size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for asking a basic question, but I am looking to buy my first angle grinder and I notice that most angle grinders I look at specify "M14 Spindle Thread" under disk fitting, but most disks I see available say "standard bore".

Are these the same thing, or are "standard bore" disks compatible with "M14" grinders? I guess the different terminology means they are not the same thing.

I want to make sure that disks will be readily available before choosing a grinder, and I want to make sure I don't waste money buying disks that won't fit whatever grinder I buy.

I am looking at 4.5" disc size.

Any guidance will be welcome!

Sponsored Links
For a 4 1/2 disc, the arbor size is standardised at 22.2mm. Less for a 4" machine which are rare now.
John :)

M14 is a thread size. Not a spindle size
This means that if you buy a wire brush attachment it screws on.

Sorry for asking a basic question, but I am looking to buy my first angle grinder and I notice that most angle grinders I look at specify "M14 Spindle Thread" under disk fitting, but most disks I see available say "standard bore".

Are these the same thing, or are "standard bore" disks compatible with "M14" grinders? I guess the different terminology means they are not the same thing.

I want to make sure that disks will be readily available before choosing a grinder, and I want to make sure I don't waste money buying disks that won't fit whatever grinder I buy.

I am looking at 4.5" disc size.

Any guidance will be welcome!

You buy the disks, by their outside diameter in mm. Common sizes are 100mm and 125mm, the bore of which is standard.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies.
I have learned a lot!
I think I know what to buy now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back