Angle grinder safety - tile cutting?

I haven't tried it, but would a tile cutting blade on a multitool work?

Sponsored Links
Extra safety factor to think about... don't let your apron or hoody cords, or sleeves or tie (!!!) anywhere near any rotating parts. There's an argument that entanglement is a higher risk than that of being hit by things and if you're in that line of thought then roll up your sleeves.

Nozzle

Heres a thing:
by what i've viewed, ninety percent of woodworking machinery used on you tube is dangerously wrong, they have no idea about safety.
Very few of the people - young and old - that i interview when they join us on site, has a clue about simple safe practices in using hand power tools.
As for table saws - even with some subbie wood floor layers - we have to waste time re-inventing the safe practice wheel.
Whats the answer - i dont think there is one.

Last edited:
Inresponse to bourbon, it's not that..... like everyone else in the trades who is still working we are struggling to get replacement filters.
And I sympathize with you. You can't do your job safely. All the more reason for this guy to, put the tool in the box and walk away.

Sponsored Links
I use angle grinders a lot, and I would say only use as much blade as needed to cut your tile as its less likely to grab.
There are also a lot more safety features like anti kick back and paddle switch handles.

Last edited:
ninety percent of woodworking machinery used on you tube is dangerously wrong,
That's mostly because it's people in North America, or even worse, people who have copied them.
A country where table saws have no guards, the fence is always far too long, and table saws in general are used for everything except what they were designed for.

When cutting tiles with an angle grinder it is important not to force the cut. A quality diamond blade designed for the correct tile type will usually remove material without exerting too much pressure. Most of the time the weight of the tool is enough to make the cut. Make several passes and don't try to cut the full depth of the tile in one pass. Keep the blade straight and don't let it twist in the cut. This is especially important when your cut get deeper. It's one of those actions that will become easier with practice but never become complacent using an angle grinder. Also inspect your blade for any damage or defects before using it, the last thing you want is a blade shattering whilst spinning at 11,000 rpm.

I find the most dangerous time is when you have used the equipment loads of times and become complacent about safety. You sound like you are doing all you can apart from as been mentioned - dust mask. I used to use a paper disposable type one, but then I brought a PP3 one with cartridges and wish I had brought one years ago - compared to a paper one the air flow is like you are not even wearing one - so much so that I can not get out of the habit of holding my breath when the dust wafts over :LOL:
If I am cutting dusty stuff I have a pump pressure garden sprayer that I attach a tube to that then gos to a blunt syringe - stick a brick on it to hold it in place, so that I have a very fine controllable flow of water to the cutting area to reduce the dust.
I also have a wet table tile cutter that I call "Mr chippy" I much prefer the angle grinder. The disk I use is the type that have a figure of 8 pattern on it - forget the name.

My mask works the same as it did on day one, they just naturally have some resistance to them compared to a paper mask, or at least mine does and so does my wifes. I've had my P3 for years and regularly change the filters and I always keep a couple of spares. I'd never consider working with power tools without a dust mask and nor should anyone else in my opinion. A quick bit of research into COPD and most people are mask converts for life.

So many people dont realise that something like using a lathe for turning oak is terrible for your health without a respirator and proper extraction. Seriously considering a full face air mask at some point.

Interesting points about the table saw use in the USA. They frequently remove all guards and the riving knife and its all over youtube. It's super dangerous to do so in most situations, theres no doubt. Personally, I try to minimise my use of the table saw by using a track saw which are in my opinion far safer due to elements inherent in the design.

With a planer/thicknesser (US:jointer) always, always, always use good quality push pads!

Although, that's pretty off topic for my tile cutting OP. Sounds like I'm on broadly the right lines, will remember the tips.

Cheers all.

To my mind, the most dangerous movement with using Table saws is when the operator reaches past the blade - often when they are pushing by hand.
And often enough they hand push the piece all the way past the blade, sometimes having to lean over the guard free, high blade.
Sweeping sawdust away by hand is another cringe moment.

On the plus side, there are sometimes ingenious and safe jigs and sliding devices.

If you are cuttiing a lot of stuff in the same place, I set up a fan to keep the dust down, you can often find these fans in hedges near tight bends - pretty dam useful in keeping the stour down.
found the hat in a hedge too - feel quite modern in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back