Angle Grinder safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm an experienced power tool user including saws, routers etc but I know nothing of big angle grinders. I have dozens of 2x2 slabs to cut and intend buying a trade router & diamond disc(s) Worthwile going for vibration dampening? (I considered hiring dedicated gear but this job will spread over several weeks).
Any guidance or links to tips for a rookie please? I have protective gear (hat, face shield, boots, mask, gloves) but I know real safety comes from sound technique: start, stop, binding etc. Thanks for helping

Sponsored Links
A decent pair of rigger gloves will dampen some vibration.
Dont buy a cheap grinder and really cheap discs if your worried about vibration.

Wear your goggles and mask, a pair of boots wouldn't go amiss either.

Be aware of where your dust is going, look out for kids etc.

Dont push it harder than it wants to go. Avoid using the back portion of the disc (nearest the motor) as its more likely to bite.

Position the guard where it needs to be. Make sure you use the correct type of disc and its fitted properly.

Not so much an issue cutting slabs, but make sure when you are cutting that the cut wont close up and pinch the blade. A powerfull 9" will try and run away if your not expecting it, or your not the strongest person around.

Hold it steady when you start and let it get up to speed before attempting to cut, start at the edge and mark your line across, then cut deeper, keeping it moving.

Thanks hitachimad, just the sort of practical stuff I'm looking for. Your tip about NOT cutting near the motor is really on the money - I'm sure that would seem a natural thing to do - I'll watch out.
PS I noticed that the less expensive hitachi grinders don't have a swivel gearbox - it seems sense to have the rear handle rotated to the same plane as the disc when cutting slabs?

As a heavy user of 9" grinders i have only used one that had a swivel handle, and didnt find it any easier to use. Personally id go with a Hitachi G23SF2. Good positive switches, and great power/ weight ratio, nice price aswell. Almost indistructable!

Reading back now, saying dont use the back portion seems silly, If your looking at the grinder as you would hold it (disc flat) and imagine a clock, try to use from about 1-5 oclock. :idea:

Sponsored Links
always start cutting nearest to you and work forwards, never cut by bringing the machine back towards you.

also if you are doing straight cuts and not to bothered about the cut edge, then you can cut a slab by just scoring a shallow line.

you will need to cut a few mill into the slab, nick each end and then bolster down the line on the BACK of the slab.

it helps if you put the slab on something flat and fairly giving before striking it with a bolster chisel. a flattened area of sand or a lawn is ideal.

also cutting the whole way through a slab is speeded up if the blade is kept cool. you will find cutting the slab on a damp patch of lawn works wonders!

Another tip, watch you dont set on fire!
Might sound a daft thing to say, but I've done it ! cutting some steel tube, the frayed bits around a hole in my overalls at the time caught fire, was funny but could easily not have been funny at all.

If possible, leave all the cuts untill the end and hire a proper Stihl saw - much better if you have many cuts to do.

I still prefere the traditional 'slab against the inside leg and hit with a bolster' method where ever possible for speed and simplicity.

And you forgot 'ear defenders' on your list of PPE. Diamond blades make a terrible high pitched noise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back