Cutting sheet steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have some 3mm thick sheet steel which I need to cut down.

The cut will be about 2m long and will be visible once it is finished, so needs to be fairly neat.

Just wondering what might be the best thing to use? I've got a pretty good collection of tools.

I did wonder about a jigsaw and a straight edge but I'm not sure if 3mm might be a bit thick?

Another thought was my stihl saw with a metal blade in, but I'm not sure how neat a cut I could do with that.

I'll clean the cut up with a 4" grinder and a sanding pad.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I thought you were looking into them rage saws back along...?
I gather you didnt buy one....

3mm will cut with a jigsaw, but its pretty slow going.

A few thing discs in a 4" grinder and you should be able to get a decent cut, especially if your going to clean it up afterwards anyway....

Failing that, just get someone with a guilly to do it for you ;)

I’ve cut a lot of sheet steel & a lot of large manufactured timber boards but I’ve not done what you’re after before. What I’d go with is a 6 or 8 inch disk, either a diamond or 3mm composite steel cutting disk in a conventional (but decent) circular saw; assuming you have one. Run it slowly against a very straight & well clamped batten & after a little dressing with an angle grinder sanding disk, it should look fine. ;)

Grinder with slitting disc, clamp a straight edge on.

This is how I cut out panels for HMI's etc, gives a decent cut which doesn't need too much cleaning up.

Sponsored Links
I got one of those rage saws and its pretty good for the money, but it's a compound mitre saw so no good for sheet work. (works a treat on 'strut though)

I could use my 4" grinder and try and run the guard down a straight edge. That could work.

I've got a pack of those 1mm discs already :D

I take it that this is a straight cut?
are there no places you could take it on a lunch time and offer some guy a couple of cans to do it on the guillotine?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back