Cutting tool for thin stainless steel sheet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to cut down a stainless steel sheet to make a splash back and would like a nice clean tidy cut.
I think its thinnish-0.9mm thick

Any cheap tool up to the job as it'll probably only get used once?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As foxy states, best to have cut to size by a guillotine, but you can do a good job with a set of aircraft snips or a nibbler (hired if need be) and a long wide file. The cut/nibbled edges should be just oversize, and the file (warding/bastard or first cut) ran perpendicularly whilst the steel sheet is supported right up to the edge, less 1" or so (finger space) holding the file in an open fist allows dressing of the cut edge. You can finish it with a sharpening stone (diamond or otherwise) or a fine file, taking any sharp Arris off before handling the sheet...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
I once cut a circle out of 8mm thick steal with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade and did a good job of it.

I once cut a circle out of 8mm thick steal with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade and did a good job of it.

Nearly ditto, but nowhere near as thick as that, wow...pinenot :)

I think the thickness of the sheet is only 0.9mm won't I get away with scoring a line on the side I need to cut with a quality blade?

Just curious.....

I think the thickness of the sheet is only 0.9mm won't I get away with scoring a line on the side I need to cut with a quality blade?

Just curious.....

You could always try on the bit you intend on cutting off to see what happens.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back