How to cut stainless steel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should be under general discussion but here goes.
Have bought a stainless steel splash back which is around 5mm to big.
Excuse ignorance, but will it cut ok with a normal hacksaw blade or is there some other tool/method of cutting.
Don't want to cock it up as it is quite costly.

Sponsored Links
Angle grinder with a suitable blade would be easier, does the cut have to be dead straight (I'm guessing not as you suggest a hacksaw)

Angle grinder with a suitable blade would be easier, does the cut have to be dead straight (I'm guessing not as you suggest a hacksaw)
Thanks for that 2scoops, would prefer it to be straight as it goes between two kitchen cabinets and there would be a stop end about 400mm down.
This because the stainless steel is wrapped round the edges of a base plate of mdf or something similar.

stainless sheet for kitchens are made from 18-8 stainless for food purposes and it is quite soft compared to 304 which hardens during cutting.
If you wish a straight cut I would suggest using a jig saw with a fine tooth blade , clamp sheet between two flat straight boards, this will reduce vibration and you can use the edge as a guide.
make sure your blade is for metal,a little soapy water on the cut path will
also help ,do not push too hard let the saw do the work.
File edge to remove any burrs and sharp edge.

Sponsored Links
Seems to me you would be better off cutting the cabinets so that they overlap the stainless steel.

a jigsaw and a hacksaw will both cut a wobbly line.

A wheel cutter either circular saw or angle grinder can cut straight.

If as I am thinking it is MDF with a thin stainless sheet bonded to it, I would have thought a TCT circular would do it OK (face down). I've had that, and the supplier whizzed it on their big board cutter.

an electric file with appropriate belt will do the job nicely

Is it moveable? Just wondering if it would be worth while marking it up and taking it to a fabrication shop and get them to cut it off with a guillotine?

As it has a returned edge then yes, take it to a local fabricator and they will - hopefully - be able to shorten the spashback in a professional manner. You'll be looking at this thing for years, so it's worth the effort to get a good job.

A 4.5"grinder, with a quality ultra thin disc will cut it as staright as you can hold it. Minimal burr, and no discoloration. Might just have to whizz a normall saw up it to cut the mdf.

That is a professional manner ;)

Thank you all for your suggestions, unfortunately it's one of those jobs were you can't have a dummy run to test the various ideas.
Not to worry I will let you know how I get on.

Yeah, I reckon if it's crucial, measure 3 times and get it guillotined at a local fab shop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back