Galvanised angle steel, 40mm x 40mm 3mm thickness.

Because once you drill or cut it, the galvanised protection is lost wherever its cut/drilled, sure you can paint some galvanic paint on but it'll never be as good as the original galvanised coating.

Sponsored Links
Because once you drill or cut it, the galvanised protection is lost wherever its cut/drilled, sure you can paint some galvanic paint on but it'll never be as good as the original galvanised coating.
Since I already gave you a link, any arguments about whether something should or shouldn't exist are surely irrelevant at this point?

Your link links to some set length angles, I didn't realise all your projects utilised set length angles that don't need cutting or drilling.

Your link links to some set length angles, I didn't realise all your projects utilised set length angles that don't need cutting or drilling.
I will cut and drill them. I really don't see what the issue is. If I want to drill them that's surely my choice, and the longevity will be affected by the choices I make to some extent, and it's down to me to mitigate that. All part of the design. Just as when you get galv roofing sheet you're gonna drill them and mitigate with whatever system you choose be it some kind of rubber/plastic washer or a dab of something to do the job.
Your (and Wooder's) assertion that something is of no use simply because it requires some mitigation or other is just ridiculous. There is no perfect building material be it timber, steel or brick, they all require mitigation of some form or other, you don't just stick them in some random place and expect them to resist weathering. Why would it be any different with galv. steel?

Sponsored Links
Ive used Themetalstore, https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/ before for galvanized poles and all the fittings
Thanks bodge for trying to answer my question with a link/company recommendation. This was what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Unfortunately, yeah, I knew about them, and they certainly do what I want, but several places will undercut them for tubes, even Scaffolding Direct (themselves not the cheapest). It's cheaper for me to use a 48.3mm tube (sourced from a cheap supplier) than it is to use a 40mm angle. The angle is basically half the steel volume, but it costs 50% more!

Looking at their prices you are getting well shafted.
Not yet! I haven't bought anything from them. In fact at these prices I prefer to make steel tube work, which is far cheaper. There are just more challenges in working with it.
A 3m x 1250mm sheet sheared and folded into 40 x 40mm will set you back nearly £500 quid.
Thats at least £300 quid just for ten minutes work on the beam folder.
You've lost me here. I don't understand what these numbers mean. That's making about... erm... 15 of the things? And so it's about £33 each? That's more expensive than what I already found, so why am I getting shafted?
Well it would be if not for the middle men.
The problem here is the middle men in for a slice of the profits.
Thats why I gave you a link direct to a manufacturing facility earlier.
OK, but at the above price (which I may not have understood) there's no point. Unless, that is, I want the additional strength that I may get from folded over what is presumably forged on the mass-produced angle?
Of course you might be at a disadvantage with such companies as you most likely won't have a trade account. You don't know anyone, you have no history
This is a DIY forum, so that's a reasonable assumption to make.
I know little about pricing. My role (amongst others) is design profile sizing and ordering. And I am very proficient on this particular task.
Good for you, but if you don't know about pricing, why post in response to a query that's basically all about pricing?
It did occur to me that you would post up links to such companies supplying the angle in question after I posted my opinion on the availability status.
You can always edit ;)
To be picky, I posted a link in the OP as well. I guess I decided adding another one was quicker than referring back to the first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back