can you tile on old tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have tiles that a shiney surface, and want to retile, would it be ok to tile over them?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

I have tiles that a shiney surface, and want to retile, would it be ok to tile over them?

thanks

Simple answer is yes

but you are better off taking them off, whats the old tiles, whats your new tiles ( ceramic, stone ?) also size of new tiles, whats the subtrate underneath the old tiles, all this has a bearing on what you ask, as it determines the weight of the tiles you wish to tile over with

thansk for the response.

It is a breeze block and solid wall. There are standard tiles which are shiney ceramic, and the new tiles that will go on it are twice as big tiles but will have a matt finish

Have you even tried to strip off the old tiles? Tiling over tiles can be done but it should really only be as a last resort. It’s a total bodge really & with large format tiles, you could have problems getting them to stay up there, particularly if heavily glazed..

Sponsored Links
i am thinking to do that, the only worry i have is that the wall behind will not be soo good after. i might bond it with bonding then put tiles on it.

rav

If by bonding, you mean Bonding plaster, DO NOT use it as a tile base; along with all base plasters (except Tough Coat) it’s not suitable for tiling onto. In fact finishing plaster is not recommended either as it reduces the maximum tile weight to 20 kg/sqm including up to 4 kg of adhesive & that can be a problem with large format tiles. You should take the view that the tiles have to come off & deal with whatever happens afterwards, it's the only way to do it properly.

You would do well to take time out & read the tiling sticky & the Tiling Forum archive posts before you go any further, it might just prevent you making some potentially expensive mistakes!

i am thinking to do that, the only worry i have is that the wall behind will not be soo good after. i might bond it with bonding then put tiles on it.

rav

Use a powdered adhesive if they are large tiles (200mm x 200mm or larger) also you can use the adhesive to repair the walls if you have slight damage caused by taking old tiles off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back