Can you tile on ripple effect paint?!! HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Currently preparing the walls of a small toilet for tiling and hit a major problem. I previously covered the walls with the dreaded RIPPLE EFFECT paint MANY years ago. (The type that looks like artex and you finish with a roller) . Stupid of me I know!! but the walls were prone to cracking so it seemed like a good idea at the time!

I managed to clear it off one wall with a lot of effort but it seems stuck fast on the others - to the extent that i can only remove it with a scrapper and small hammer- effectively chiselling it off!
So help!!!!!! Any experienced tilers out there must have encountered this
problem before. Can I just key the ripple surface with a sander and tile on top? Or do I have to remove the dreaded ripple- if so HOW?????

Any advice would be really appreciated. I have used the DIYnot site in the past and received hugely valuable advice so i hope i will again be lucky

Waiting in hope!

Groucho

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard

I intended using ceramic tiles approximately 20cm square although my wife would like us to use larger tiles.

If the paint is well stuck to the wall, you may be OK with relatively smaller 200 x 200 tiles but if start going large format, they are thicker & weigh much more & then adhesion may be a problem & if it’s plaster underneath the paint you will have a maximum weight limit of 20 kg/sqm anyway & that includes around 4 kg/sqm for adhesive & grout.

Stick 8” strips of gaffa tape on several parts of the wall & pull it off, if any paint comes off on the tape, you can’t tile over it. Textured paint may also make it difficult for you to get the tiles level.

Sponsored Links
Hi Richard

Thanks for the advice. Yes it is plaster underneath the paint. So just to sum up - you think it IS OK if I key the ripple ( Is keying necessary/advisable?) and stick to smaller tiles?

Thanks

Groucho

Do a gaffa tape test & if the paint doesn’t come off on the tape you should be OK with 20 x 20cm tiles. Key the paint through into the plaster using a criss-cross pattern. Sorry forgot to ask; is this a brick/block constructed wall or plasterboard?

What adhesive & grout were you proposing to use? Only use quality trade adhesive/grout, cheap own brand & DIY products are mostly crap.

Just done the gaffa tape test. All very sound- so far so good!
The walls are all brick but there is one boxed in section of plaster board. As for adhesive- will use GRANFIX (premixed) supergrip for ceramic tiles

Further to last post. Just noticed that the GLANFIX product ia adverised as a "thin bed" adhesive ( up to 3 mm). Do you think there may be a problem with this when compensating for slightly uneven parts of the walls?

Sorry but had to add this. Just noticed (Reading info on an old tub).The Glanfix specifically states that it must NOT be used over emulsion paint or over uneven walls.. so any ideas? is there a thick bed adhesive suitable for use over emulsion paint?

BAL blue star is OK for painted surfaces; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/blue-star & would normally be a good choice but, like most tub ready mix, the maximum bed thickness is only 3mm; will this sufficient to cover your stipple effect paint? Also, being evaporative cure, it will take a lot longer (3 days min) before you can grout.

Your only option may be a powder adhesive which ca be laid on up to 6mm with the appropriate trowel; http://194.223.92.131/pdf/Technical Data Sheets/B & C Technical Data Sheets/BAL_Rapidset.pdf

Score the wall well & use an acrylic primer; http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/primer

I’ve used powder addy over emulsion before without problems but I’ve no idea what formulation the textured paint is so you will need to test a small area with the adhesive to make sure it doesn’t react with the paint; if it does you’ll have no option but to take it all off as you obviously wont be able to return it once opened. Have you tried a steamer on it? Be careful how you use it though if you overheat the plaster by leaving it in one place too long you will blow the plaster off the wall creating more problems for yourself.

If tiling over the textured paint use a solid thick bed trowel - 20mm round notches, 10mm deep, at 28mm centres to ensure you get sufficient depth of adhesive over the paint. As its chemical cure it will set a lot quicker & can be grouted after 24 hours.

Hi Richard

Thanks for all the advice. I've now got plenty to go on, and I suppose I've just got to bite the bullet and get on with it!

Again many thanks for taking the time to share your expertise!

Groucho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back