Can you use wood preserver on OSB?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I can't seem to find an answer to this online. Purchased a second hand chicken coop with an OSB floor and roof and want to protect it as best as possible. I am getting some Barrettine wood preserver for the rest of the wood - Does anyone know if wood preserver is suitable for use on OSB?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I have to ask, why would you? The amount of resin adhesive used in OSB will severely limit the penetration of preservatives into the fibres in any case and the resin glues used in the production of exterior-grade sheet material are in any case waterproof. In other words it probably won't work

As an aside, OSB hoardings on building sites can generally survive a couple of years of outdoor use before they start to disintegrate - normally from the edges

Sponsored Links
I have to ask, why would you? The amount of resin adhesive used in OSB will severely limit the penetration of preservatives into the fibres in any case and the resin glues used in the production of exterior-grade sheet material are in any case waterproof. In other words it probably won't work

As an aside, OSB hoardings on building sites can generally survive a couple of years of outdoor use before they start to disintegrate - normally from the edges

As i'm buying the wood preserver anyway and i'm very over budget, if it was suitable it would have saved money. The OSB is ever so slightly going in some spots around the edges (it feels slightly soft).

Put felt on the roof

There is felt on the roof but i'd imagine moisture in the air and chicken poop plus water dripping onto the underside of the floor could compromise the OSB.

Is it suitable for the chickens?

I certainly hope so. It says pet safe once dry but that's another issue i'm struggling with.

Right so wood preserver is out the question... how about Tung or Danish oil? I'm using that for the walls of the inside and finishing coat for the outside.

The OSB is ever so slightly going in some spots around the edges (it feels slightly soft).
Then it has already gone and no amount of preservative will reverse that. Instead apply some wood hardener to the soft bits. Tung oil or Danish won't help

Then it has already gone and no amount of preservative will reverse that. Instead apply some wood hardener to the soft bits. Tung oil or Danish won't help

I mean i'm talking 2 or 3 spots in tiny areas slightly soft, not put your finger through soft and i still want to protect it anyway... but yes i will look into wood hardener.

If it is soft the fibres are soaking and may already have rot. Hardener will stop this, wood rot treatment won't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back