Wood Preserver and Protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

In the process of buying a garden log cabin. It comes untreated so I'm trying to work out which product to use.

I didn't realise a wood preserver (rot, fungal attack etc.) and wood protection (rain, sun etc.) were two different things, until today!

Is there a two in one product that I can spray on? Cuprinol's DucksBack seemed good as it has a wax to provide some protection, but it only comes in colours. I would ideally like a clear product.

If I do put on two products (preserver and protector) and I come to reapply a preserver in the future, can it be sprayed on top of the protection coat?

Sorry, brand new to this, so some basic questions.

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
If you want clear, uncoloured, Cuprinol Clear is a good preservative. Treat the components that will be within 300mm of the ground (due to rainsplash) and soak any parts that will be in contact with your concrete base. Do not allow timber to touch the ground. Look for any surfaces that will be facing upward where rain may lie and treat thoroughly. It is spirit based and takes days to dry so you can apply a water-based decorative product on top. I usually use a shed and fence treatment, I think they are always coloured but you can choose a pale one. They are emulsified and leave a waxy coating on the surface that repels water. if you throw a bucket of water at a freshly-treated fence it will bead up and fall off without wetting it. When the coating has eroded, water will no longer do that so it is ready for another coat.

There are some own brands. Read the safety data sheet to see what chemicals they contain and compare to Cuprinol. They need an insecticide (often Permethrin or similar) and a fungicide.

Decking stains are more translucent and seem more durable, but are more expensive.

There are some coloured/decorative wood preservers that do both jobs, but you don't want a colour.

I sometimes use DPC during assembly to help prevent rain wetting upward-facing timbers, e.g. parts of the frame or roof supports, and the tops of posts. You can temporarily fix it with staples. I like to think it will help if the roof leaks.

A big brush will put it on thick and fast. A sprayer will waste some and it will blow around. Preservatives are deliberately made to be poisonous, so you don't want them on your skin, and definitely not in your eyes or lungs.

I like to treat the components all over, before assembly. once it is built you will only be able to treat the bits facing out.

Hello John

thank you so much for the detailed reply.

I can now research suitable products.

Thank you
Tom

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back