Mix wood preserver and boiled linseed oil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have some pine window frames with areas of no paint, that have become a bit dry and weathered. No rot however.

Can I apply a mix of boiled linseed oil and Ronseal clear wood preserver? I have read that a mix of linseed and turps (or similar) can help with dried out wood, but as the wood preserver is also a clear, volatile liquid, I wondered if it could be used in place of turps.

Thanks for reading,
NIN

Sponsored Links
I would give it a try, perhaps on some other wood, if you have some that is and see how it goes first. If it's not going to dry it can be wiped off with white spirit or similar...pinenot :)

it would be far far better to strip the surface and treat generously with wood preserver first. Then when it has dried, start your oil treatments.

I have used linseed on exterior wood. It is not damp-proof.

usually, you dilute the first few coats of oil with white spirit to help them soak in. I will admit I have used Cuprinol clear as a diluent sometimes, so the white sprit does not wash away the wood preserver.

p.s.
if you are not planning an oil finish, but a paint, and the paint is not one of linseed preparations, I would not oil the wood. I think the oil will interfere with adhesion. aluminium wood primer is very durable on outside timbers. Let the preservative dry fully first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back