Candy Fridge-Freezer Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Fridge-Freezer belonging to my very elderly mother has suddenly defrosted (and it's not an auto-defrost model).
Have cleared up the water, binned the food from the freezer, and would like to know if there is anything I could investigate before resigning myself to buying a replacement.
No real clues - except that the internal light comes on OK - and that the thermostat has not accidently been moved to zero.

Any advice would br greatly appreciated.

Best wishes for a Happy New Year!

Mike.

Sponsored Links
can you hear compressor running? (deep humming noise) if not try turning temp control to max.Running or not ?

Most likely a faulty thermostat.
If however you hear a click, a buzz then another click when it's first switched on, the compressor is duff.

Unplug your appliance before working on it.

No noise from compressor, even when thermostat turned to coldest.
All is deathly quiet.

Need new thermostat?

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Without being there to actually test it my best guess is it needs a thermostat.

Un plug the fridge and Pull the two wires off the thermostat and short them together, plug the fridge in and see if it runs. This will confirm its the stat before you buy one. :LOL:

You can check the stat using a multimeter, there may also be more than two wires on the stat.
Test for continuity across pins 4 and 6. No continuity when the stat is on = faulty stat.
Never work on a live appliance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back