Candy Nova Washing machine not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a Candy Nova washing machine (not sure an exact model - it's a 6kg model - washer only) for nearly 5 years.

Throughout it's life it has had an annoying fault approx once a year, each time I've managed to fix it but I'm not sure how.

This time I'm struggling to fix it though!

Basically we will be washing something and it will get "stuck" towards the end. The door lock light stays on so you can't open the door and you can see it's got quite a bit of water inside - along with very wet washing. We found out how to open the door (switch off, wait 10 mins, switch back on and wait 2 mins)

Previously to fix I have removed the hose from the pipe it drops into and blown in it. To make sure there are no blocakges etc, cleaned the filter and run a couple of empty loads through on the shortest setting (Rapid 32), but it's doesn't seem to be finishing this time.

I started by removing the washing, then blowing down the hose which blows bubbles in the water sitting in the drum so it seems to have a path out. I then removed the filter and had to catch a lot of the water on towels. The filter had a little bit of stuff in but not much. What I did notice though was normally I'm sure the contents of the drum gush out making much more mess. This time it just seemed to be trickling out. I was able to remove the filter clean it out, and put it back and still have lots of water left in the drum.

Whilst I had the filter out I put my little finger up the hole where water was trickling out and it was slimey and covered in soapy residue.

So my guess is that the internal pipework between the filter and the drum is gunked up and restricting the flow of water out of the machine. The washing machine panics and stops doing anything to make sure it doesn't keep filling up with water (or trips because of the weight with all the water in?).

Does that sound right and if so how do you clean it out?

Sponsored Links
unclip pump and on the side of pump is two pipes inlet to sump and outlet to drain hose unclip the two and clean out check that there is no hair clip / small coin jammed in the pipe /s

• Thanks
Reactions: Ked
Can that all be seen from the back or do I need to remove a cover somewhere?

I've not yet pulled it out.

Is there anything you can put in to dissolve and clean out the washing powder residue?

Sponsored Links
bottle of white vinegar on 90 degrees try that a couple of times ,stop useing quick wash as well it dont desolve the soap powder

Thanks, we don't tend to use the rapid wash as it doesn't wash very well. I'm just using it with no powder in to try and flush the pipes but can try it on a high setting.

I think you might be right thought that it might be a foreign object this time

all sorted 50p acting as a one way valve. Looks like it's been in there a good while, it was very worn

If it helps anyone searching in the future I did the following to get to the pipe.

1. Remove as much water as possible. Put the drain hose as low as possible to let it drain out.

2. Remove filter at the front, which lets more water out, the water from the drum was now trickling out very slowly which showed it was the pipe between the drum and the filter.

3. Unplug from mains and water supply.

4. Remove panel from the back by undoing the 7mm bolts.

5. Towards the bottom you will see a black pipe, undo the jubilee clip on the big part where it connects to the drum. Then use a pair of molegrips/pliers to compress the wire clip to remove the bit next to it. You can now bend it back to let the water drain into a bowl or similar.

6. Use the molegrips/pliers to remove the other end from the pump. I put a towel over the pump to make sure it didn't drip all over the electrics.

7. clean the pipe and reassemble.

The pipe itself is quite big (big enough for a 50p to travel down!), but when it gets to the filter housing it gets much smaller a 5p would probably struggle. So when the 50p gets there it blocks it and only allows a small amount of water to pass.

Easy free fix but a little time consuming and messy. All fixed now though and better than it's been for years ( I reckon the 50p has been in since it first showed the problem 4 years ago ) The 50p was very weathered nearly smooth

Hope that helps someone else with a similar washing machine sometime!

• Thanks
Reactions: Ked
Sorry to necromance an old thread but...

THANKS!

I have a Candy Nova 6Kg which had these exact symptoms. I removed the black hose that went from the drum to the pump and what did I find?

A well worn 2p acting as a one way valve!

Rocks1 & Sotal, thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back