Cannot find 120mm x 4.5 / 5mm pan head screws!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've Googled, Ebayed, Amazon'd it to death, but cannot find any 120mm x 4.5 / 5mm pan head screws. I've got some 120mm plasterboard screws, but they are countersunk head.

I need then to fix some a curtain rail to a room thats been internally insulated. I cannot use plasterboard fixings, as I know the insulation is only dot'n'dabbed, no mechanical fixings used, and I have a toddler who loves to swing on curtains.

Can anyone help, or suggest any alternate options?

Thanks!
Tim

Sponsored Links
I've Googled, Ebayed, Amazon'd it to death, but cannot find any 120mm x 4.5 / 5mm pan head screws. I've got some 120mm plasterboard screws, but they are countersunk head.

I need then to fix some a curtain rail to a room thats been internally insulated. I cannot use plasterboard fixings, as I know the insulation is only dot'n'dabbed, no mechanical fixings used, and I have a toddler who loves to swing on curtains.

Can anyone help, or suggest any alternate options?

Thanks!
Tim

Do they have to be 4.5/5? I've found 6?

Also, is the rail standalone or will it be fixed on to a picture rail type backing/timber batten? If that's the case, while it may seem like overkill, you could consider toggle fixings.

Hi, it will be fixed directly to the plasterboard. Not sure toggle will work with insulated boards? And im concerned about the curtains pulling down the plasterboard!

I could possible drill out the brackets to 6mm, the heads may look a little big but I guess I have to be flexible, unless I go with rsgaz suggestion and spend £30 for screws!!

They are damned pricey!!

Sponsored Links
Hi, it will be fixed directly to the plasterboard. Not sure toggle will work with insulated boards? And im concerned about the curtains pulling down the plasterboard!

I could possible drill out the brackets to 6mm, the heads may look a little big but I guess I have to be flexible, unless I go with rsgaz suggestion and spend £30 for screws!!

They are damned pricey!!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMG32-eIgNYCFW4e0wodoL4K9g

Are these an option? They'll work with insulation backed board??

What's behind the dot and dab insulation? I may be missing something (I'm tired) but can you not drill through to the substrate material and fix there? A deep enough fixing will cope with shear pressure and I'd also teach my child not to swing on curtains!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CMG32-eIgNYCFW4e0wodoL4K9g

Are these an option? They'll work with insulation backed board??

They would be, but with the insulation backed boards only being held by adhesive and no mechanical fixings I'd rather not put all of the strain onto the piece of board above the door.

What's behind the dot and dab insulation? I may be missing something (I'm tired) but can you not drill through to the substrate material and fix there? A deep enough fixing will cope with shear pressure and I'd also teach my child not to swing on curtains!

Behind the dot and dab is a waterproof membrane, and then a concrete lintel. My plan is exactly what you suggest, the issue being getting long enough screws of a suitable diameter!

Teaching an under-2-year-old takes a few goes, and removing the certain rail by hanging on it could happen on the first attempt if not well fixed, leaving me with an injured child, damaged floor and mess of a wall! All things to avoid! :)

They would be, but with the insulation backed boards only being held by adhesive and no mechanical fixings I'd rather not put all of the strain onto the piece of board above the door.

If that's the case I'm not sure what benefit pan head screws will have other than aesthetic. I'd look for long hammer fix type plugs that will be long enough to hit and hold the masonry.

If that's the case I'm not sure what benefit pan head screws will have other than aesthetic. I'd look for long hammer fix type plugs that will be long enough to hit and hold the masonry.

That's entirely the benefit - so it looks decent!

In the end I got some 6 x 120mm pan head screws, and will have to drill out the brackets to fit.

Thanks all!

Countersunk screw will work, though if it’s on thermalite blocks even 150 mm screws don’t hold. Have similar situation. Used 6mm dowel cut in 150mm lengths , sharpened and after putting in screw and removing hammered home the dowel , this was then enough to give the screws grip.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back