cannot refill open vented system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I drained the system (radiators, F&E tank) as there was sludge in one of the bedroom radiators. System drained through lowest level radiator. Have now added sludge remover in the F&E tank, but water not filling up in the radiators. Have opened bleed valves in the ground floor radiators and got a hissing noise for about 30 seconds and then it stopped, but no water trickling out. Tried running the pump to force water around, but no luck.

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to refill the system, as there is not HW or CH at the moment.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
there is probably hardened sludge blocking the feed & expansion pipe.

It is most often at the tee where the 15mm F&E joins the 22 or 28mm circulation pipe, this is usually close to the pump.

There are billions of posts on this.

Although you can sometimes dislodge the blockage with either an aquavac or mains water pressure on the vent pipe (which is the 22mm one curving over the F&E tank) the surest remedy is to cut out the blocked tee.

see for example
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70458 (he has not cleared his blockage yet)

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37107&highlight=A

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40997&highlight=blockage

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40302&highlight=blockage

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40289&highlight=blockage

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=240753
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36230&highlight=blockage
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34682&start=0
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=36036&highlight=blockage

I'm putting £5 on sediment blockage.

Any takers?

Sponsored Links
yup,me.

just had the same problem.and it was as and where you say.
though i do sometimes get an air lock when refilling.

Hi JohnD,

Thank you for your quick reply and suggestions. I cut the 15mm pipe near the TEE to the 22mm pipe and wedged one of those spring spiral drain cleaners as fas as it would go, but no luck. When I turn the pump on, I can hear water turning inside, but still not filling the radiators. Does this mean the water is coming all the way to the pump, but getting stuck somewhere else?

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Where you have cut the 15mm pipe, does water run down it from the F&E tank, and out of the cut?

If so, there is probably a blockage further down.

Hi JohnD,

I think my problem may be resolved. I connected mains to the drain cock and pushed the water in reverse. I heard the radiators filling up and then a big gush in the F&E tank through the F&E feed pipe, not the expansion pipe. Shut the mains and let the water run through the drain cock. I could see the water level going down in the F&E tank. So looks like the blockage is cleared. I have put in Fernox sludge remover and waiting for it to work around the system and then drain and put in Inhibitor.

Let me know if I am doing this wrong or if I need to look out for anything.

Thanks once again for all your help.

Sounds good to me. With luck you have broken the plug up and there will be lumps of it floating about (they will probably wear the pump out, or jamb it :(

Have a look in the F&E cistern and bale out any sediment you find up there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back