Cannot undo internal door handles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am unable to undo some internal door handles. The handles and doorplates each side are held together by two bolts (4mm dia. X 40mm long, with screwdriver slot heads) which locate in tubular "nuts" (15mm long) also with screwdriver slot heads.

When the handles were fitted, the bolts kept undoing, so threadlock was used to hold them securely. Now that I do need to remove the handles, unscrewing the bolts is proving impossible as the screw heads are getting chewed up.

Any suggestions for undoing the bolts (ideally non-destructive)? Also, does anyone know where I can get replacement bolts and nuts - I don't want to have to replace all 11 matching door handle sets in the house.

Sponsored Links
we had a query about garden furniture sleeve nuts not long ago, the OP found a supplier which I think has the product you want. I think you'll have to browse our "Gardening" forum to find it though.

If the screws are brass and you have damaged them, you might have to drill the heads off.

I hope you used a perfectly-fitting screwdriver?

we had a query about garden furniture sleeve nuts not long ago, the OP found a supplier which I think has the product you want. I think you'll have to browse our "Gardening" forum to find it though.

If the screws are brass and you have damaged them, you might have to drill the heads off.
Thanks for that (I hadn't thought about Gardening) - I think the post is //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137720.

Since posting, I have found out that what I called tubular "nuts" are also known as Threaded sleeve nuts or inter-screws - although the ones I have located on the net have round heads 9.7mm dia. and I need raised countersunk heads 8mm dia.
I hope you used a perfectly-fitting screwdriver?
Good point - I will be down to my local Tool Shop in the morning, with the one screw that I have undone from another door. The screws, not brass but plated soft steel, have a wide but thin slot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back