Can't afford underfloor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have been searching this site for an answer but can't find it. We are going to install 600x600x20mm concrete tiles to our groung floor. We cannot afford underfloor heating and was wondering how best to insulate it?
I'm going to replace the floor boards with 18mm ext ply, add some extra noggins and have the joists treated. Anything else I should consider? Thanks for any advise offered.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick reply jdp.

There are two rooms each about 16sqm. I hope this doesn't make me sound thick :oops: but do you think I could put this board under the Ply, in between the joists? My concern is that the height of the floor is getting ever higher. The ply is 18mm thick, the adhesive is 5mm thick and the tiles are 20mm thick = 43mm.

you can get insulation that sits between the joists..i think it will be much like loft insulation. may be worth thinking about.
then the threshold of the room wont be too raised much.

Sponsored Links
I have lifted a couple of boards to see what's underneath and found a 3 foot void. So my next question was going to be how to I stop the insulation falling through? Thanks for your tip ColJack spot on.
By adding the insulation will I be restricting the airflow around the joists which may cause problems in the future or am I just being thick again? :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back