Insulation board / under floor heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I am doing my bathroom floor but don't want to raise it too much.
I plan on fitting loose wire underfloor heating and want to use some insulation board as well.
My question is, can I lay one of the thicker insulation boards directly onto the joists?
The floor boards are all uneven and i was originally going to replace the whole lot with 18mm ply (it's a small area).
If I then add insulation board / heating / adhesives and tiles to the ply - the floor will be too high.
A good solution was would be a bit of 18mm insulation board that was as strong as ply. Does anyone know if this exists?

Sponsored Links
An even better solution would be a 1 mm board with the strength of 18 mm ply, insulation peoperies of 50 mm Kingspan costing 2p/m2.

Anything else you would like Santa to invent for you ? :)

Simply, do as you intended and trim the door then fit fit a door profile. If the floor is too high for another reason you could use 10mm insulation board, just don't fit tiles to it alone.

Hello
I am doing my bathroom floor but don't want to raise it too much.
I plan on fitting loose wire underfloor heating and want to use some insulation board as well.
My question is, can I lay one of the thicker insulation boards directly onto the joists?
The floor boards are all uneven and i was originally going to replace the whole lot with 18mm ply (it's a small area).
If I then add insulation board / heating / adhesives and tiles to the ply - the floor will be too high.
A good solution was would be a bit of 18mm insulation board that was as strong as ply. Does anyone know if this exists?

Well mac, you've got a lot of yap for someone who has just turned up and started posting.

As for my reply to the OP, somewhat sarky yes, but when someone asks where they can buy the best sky-hooks, what do you expect ?

If there was a product that was structural like plywood and insulated as well as PIR, then it would probably be pretty big in the building-trade , wouldn't it ?

Sponsored Links
Sarky ?? it was patronising full stop. Someone simply asked for advice !! what's the point of this forum if they can't get a civil answer... No reply necessary.

Well mac, you've got a lot of yap for someone who has just turned up and started posting.

As for my reply to the OP, somewhat sarky yes, but when someone asks where they can buy the best sky-hooks, what do you expect ?

If there was a product that was structural like plywood and insulated as well as PIR, then it would probably be pretty big in the building-trade , wouldn't it ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back