Cant drain CH system :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi today I tried to drain the central heating in a house im renovating and struggled! Its a combi boiler and I attached a hosepipe to the drain valve near the front door and let it run, then opened some bleeding valves on the rads upstairs.

After an hour it was still trickling out of the hosepipe and just wouldnt stop! I loosened the fittings on the radiator I intend to move and water flooded out (up from the pipework). Could someone tell me what Ive overlooked or the correct way to get it drained?

Ive attached some pictures for good measure.

photo7.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

Sponsored Links
it looks like a chafferturd,judging by the rust a leaky one thats not unusual.isolate the rad/drain rad/attach hose to valve open valve and it will drain,once you have it drained remove the spindle out of the doc and clean,replace the washer and nip up,make sure you clean the seat in the doc or it will leak.better still replace the doc at the same time as the boiler.do the trv end it will save you getting a wake up call from the socket when water spurts on it ;)

could you explain what you mean a bit clearer? im a complete layman when it comes to this kinda thing really. And to clarify what was it I did wrong that meant the system wouldnt drain?

thanks for the help :)

turn off rad at both ends
loosen the nut on the lhs of rad
collect water in a suitable container
open air vent
wait for rad to empty
undo rhs nut
lift rad off brackets and place to one side
attach hose to rad valve
open valve after you have put the hose out of the building
open all upstairs vents on rads
wait for sys to empty.
you have done nothing wrong, the washer in the drain off cock[doc]has stuck to the seat and will only allow a dribble out.i would lift a board under the rad and undo the valve it cannot have much water left in it by now.check the filling loop under the boiler on the rhs [silver hose] is not passing before you start.

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help. i'll be back there tomorrow so will give it another go! if i manage to get as far as that, are there any complications involved with extending the pipework by about 4 metres and putting the radiator on the wall exactly opposite where it is position now?

not being funny but if you could not drain it,i would not hold out much hope of extending it without mishaps sorry.from the piccies it should be straight forward good luck but put your wet gear on :LOL: :LOL:

lol thats a fair assumption! Nah im actually okay at simple plumbing so if I can get to that stage I should be fine haha. I turned to the forum because I figured i'd misunderstood the ch system and was doing something wrong thats all. Cheers for the help and yeh I might don the wetsuit just in case :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back