Combi Boiler - draining the system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI there

Just wanted to check what I think I have worked out from looking at various other threads.

The previous owners of our house installed a Junior 24i combi boiler, with a flow pipe to introduce water into system. They also put a drain pipe on one of the downstaires radiators. It is, in fact, one of those screw in washing machine type attachements - and now it is leaking. Starting to damage floor, so action is needed!

As I see it, as it is below the inlet valve, I need to drain the system to replace, so this is my plan and would like your thoughts on how good (or bad) it is:

purchase replacement valve with drain tap built in (and other bits that may be needed)
turn off boiler at electricity mains
attach hosepipe to existing drain point
open a few bleed valves and drain water out
remove radiator
cut pipe below existing drain tap
replace pipe work
fit new valve, then radiator
close bleed valves
fill system again using flow tap - keep eye on pressure
turn system on, run it, check pressure (repeat as necessary)

I am comfortable with the pipework (cutting etc), but not entirely sure on the draining. Also, how long can I expect it to take (2 floors, 5 rads)

As an optional, I will probably through in some inhibitor for good measure.

Can anyone confirm if this is right, have I gone mad, should I get in a professional?

All constructive comments gratefully received

Sponsored Links
Make sure you open all bleed points upstairs and if downstairs rads are on seperate drops it could be best to drain each one to eliminate the possibilty of air locks.

Definitely add the new inhibitor when re-filling.

Otherwise seems fine ;) ;)

thanks for that - have brought inhibitor today, will keep me busy for the weekend

thanks

Gary

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back