Cant find the correct screw to hold up my pendants

On closer inspection of the photo, that really dose look like a BSW thread and looks to have 24 threads per inch so it has got to be 7/32 BSW, or posiably No.12 UNC, there is no other thread series with a pitch anywhere near for that kind of diameter

Sponsored Links
Even though it was me that started it, I think we all might have been too quick in buying the idea that this is probably a BA screw (but if it were, I agree that 2 BA is more likely than the 0 BA I originally suggested).

I've gone back and looked carefully at the piccie that was posted, and the pitch of the thread appears to be about 1.08mm. That's far too coarse for 2 BA (0.81mm), M5 (0.8mm) or 7/32" BSF (0.907mm). As the OP said, the thread pitch is quite close to M6 (1.0mm).

Looking at thread tables, about the closest I can find in 7/32" BSW, which would have a pitch of about 1.06mm. If that's what it is, Whitworth screws are pretty easy to find.

Kind Regards, John

On closer inspection of the photo, that really dose look like a BSW thread and looks to have 24 threads per inch so it has got to be 7/32 BSW, or posiably No.12 UNC, there is no other thread series with a pitch anywhere near for that kind of diameter

Great minds...... :)

I wrote and posted my previous post before I saw this one, honest m'lud :)

Kind Regards, John

Had a look at the photo, and I didn't think 2BA.

Either way your new fittings are NOT going to centre up on a 50 year old conduit box.

I have spend 30 years fitting new lights onto 2BA / 2 plate conduit wiring systems in schools etc , and you ALWAYS end up drilling the fitting out to fit.

If you have the old pins (please don't call them screws, they aren't) reuse them, if you need new, some old ironmongers will still stock BA / WHITWORTH / AF pins for you.

What you can't do is change the boxes / tubing.

CW.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
[The definition I was taught many years ago was......
"A screw cuts it's own thread, a bolt or set pin screws into a pre cut thread, a bolt has a hex head, a set pin has a slot".

I obviously don't know how long ago you were taught that, or by whom, but machine screws have been called machine screws, and bolts (and 'set screws') have come with all sorts of heads for as long as I can remember (a good few decades) but, having never heard of a threaded fastener called a 'pin' or (despite eBay) a 'set pin', I can't really comment on whatever properties it might have :)

Kind Regards, John.

[The definition I was taught many years ago was......
"A screw cuts it's own thread, a bolt or set pin screws into a pre cut thread, a bolt has a hex head, a set pin has a slot".

I obviously don't know how long ago you were taught that, or by whom, but machine screws have been called machine screws, and bolts (and 'set screws') have come with all sorts of heads for as long as I can remember (a good few decades) but, having never heard of a threaded fastener called a 'pin' or (despite eBay) a 'set pin', I can't really comment on whatever properties it might have :)

Kind Regards, John.

Cheers John,
And I don't want to start a row, but I was taught (HND Mech Eng) Set Pins Walsall Tech 1980.

CW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back