Cant get a 12 degree temperature drop.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Across basically all my radiators in my house (apart from a newly installed large vertical one). At most it seems most radiators lose 5 degres maximum from flow to return.

Most of my radiators are smallish, single pane, some with fins and some without.

10mm microbore pipework, system is 30 years old, a new combi boiler was installed 3 years ago. I have no TRV's on any radiators.

I have tried to balance my system using the lockshields, however even opening them the tiniest bit basically seems to go from no flow to full flow.

My flow temp is currently set at 65 (60 takes too long to heat the house), so basically the water is returning to the boiler too hot to condense, even at 60 i think the water will be returning too hot.

Is there anything i can do? Like i say the lockshields seem useless and even opening them the tiniest bit doesent slow anything down, its bizarre.

Sponsored Links
Use both valves on the radiator, the restriction you need should then be possible. Lockvalve just a little open, then the other end will be more sensitive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back