Can't open upvc front door!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a problem.. I can't open my front door from the outside.

From the inside it works fine as the handle retracts all hooks/locks etc.

But from the outside the handle will retract all the hooks but not the cylinder lock, the key seems to jam.

I've tried changing the cylinder lock for a spare one and it makes no difference. The key won't turn

Any ideas? Photo attached to give an idea of lock type. Any ideas appreciated before I fork out for a whole new locking mechanism.

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
It seems something is wrong in the Espagnol lock it's self, have tried unscrewing it and taking it off the door to look for any worn/broken bits? is there also a latch, or how does the door remain closed if it's unlocked?? ...pinenot :)

Thanks for your reply - i'll take it apart tonight and see if I can find the problem! Cheers

I assume it is a lever/pad looking at the spindle. Does the key pull the latch in, are you sure the spindle is sitting in the pad handle

Sponsored Links
it looks like a pad out lever in and the latch will only turn from outside when you turn the key.

If i am right and this is the case then try turning the key whilst pressing on the door

If it opens with pressure on it i would advise that you lubricate the latch front and back and the latch keeper plate

Pls let me know how you get on .

it looks like a pad out lever in and the latch will only turn from outside when you turn the key.

If i am right and this is the case then try turning the key whilst pressing on the door

If it opens with pressure on it i would advise that you lubricate the latch front and back and the latch keeper plate

Pls let me know how you get on .

Sorry should have said pull on the door thats if it opening in.from outside

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back