Lever Pad Handle, but no entry from outside!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, this isn't quite the normal 'wrongness' in this forum;-

I have a uPVC door with a lever pad handle on the outside
(so when you close it you need a key to re-enter).

The lock (and barrel) is fine. You can latch and lock the door from the inside and outside.

What I can't do is get in from the outside because the smaller latch (the non locking one) won't retract when I turn the key that last amount.

This happens with the door open or shut - so its not a hanging issue.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Have you tried adjusting the door latch on the door frame ? Loosen the screws and re-adjust.

masona said:
Have you tried adjusting the door latch on the door frame ? Loosen the screws and re-adjust.

No, its nothing to do with the frame because trying this with the door open, it still has this problem.

Pushing the latch in and out shows that the latch itself isn't stiff or rubbing - its just not being pulled inwards by the key from the outside.

The handle from the inside opens the latch perfectly.

Any clues? :!:

Have you look at the lock side to see anything loose, if so tighten the screws. Undo handle & spray wd-40 and see what that does.

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Have you look at the lock side to see anything loose, if so tighten the screws. Undo handle & spray wd-40 and see what that does.

There's nothing stiff or stuck in it.
Its simply that when you turn the key that final turn, it doesn't pick up the latch and open it.., the key just turns.

mail2neil said:
Its simply that when you turn the key that final turn, it doesn't pick up the latch and open it.., the key just turns.
I've got it now !
The barrel bolt which have a small centre latch need resetting or might be a bit loose, another possibility it's could be worn out. You may need a new barrel bolt which comes with 3 set of keys.
barrel2.jpg

A bit difficult without seeing it, have a look for model number for new parts and you could try here.

I've got it now !
The barrel bolt which have a small centre latch need resetting or might be a bit loose, another possibility it's could be worn out. You may need a new barrel bolt which comes with 3 set of keys.
barrel2.jpg

A bit difficult without seeing it, have a look for model number for new parts and you could try here.[/quote]

:confused:
D'oh! I've tried that. I have replaced the cylinder barrel (which is what I thought it was) Didn't make any difference.
Its got to be some internal mech.

The barrel are quite tricky to line up, have you tried moving the barrel back & forward slightly and turn the key at the same time ? May have to take out the lock and investigate.

masona said:
The barrel are quite tricky to line up, have you tried moving the barrel back & forward slightly and turn the key at the same time ? May have to take out the lock and investigate.

Yeah. Dab hand at locks.
Tried all above..
I have ordered a new complete mech.
Hopefully that'll hold some clues.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back