Split spindle offset lever/pad multilock door mechanism

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have a split spindle offset lever/pad multilock door mechanism on my upvc front door. When i close the door from the inside i need to lift the handle to engage the latch and multilock, the trouble is that people can still open the door from the outside.

I normally have to use the key to lock from the inside whiich is annoying.

My question is, what do i need to do change it so that I can just close the door from the inside by lifting the handle and this then stops anyone from entering from the outside without a key. When i leave the house in the morning I will need to lift the handle to engage the latch and multilock, but then be unable to open the door again unless I have a key.

Is this possible?

thanks

Sponsored Links
A split spindle and an offset handle are 2 different types of beasts

The split spindle works along the same shaft with the spindle and the door gear being split in two one inside and one out and door should not not be able to open from outside without a key

a pad and lever is normally fitted to a gear that has two spindle holes in the door gear.
The pad on the outside only operates the door gear when lifted.
When pulled down it does nothing and the door cant be opened from outside.

So my question is have you got a twin spindle or a split spindle

If your not sure undo the two screws that hold the handle on and see if your door gear has 2 separate spindle holes.

Thanks for your reply.

I definately have two spindle holes as took the screws and handles off to investigate.

The pad on the outside when lifted engages the multilock and the pad falls down into the horizontal postion, when I push down it disengages the multilock. I then walk inside the house, close the door and push up on the lever to engage the multilock which then falls into the horiztonal position. Essentially both inside and outside work in exactly the same way.

I think it might not be possible to do what i want to do with my mechanism.....But your guidance is very much appreciated!!

if you have two square holes in the door gear you should have the pad handle fitted into one on the outside and the lever handle fitted to the other on the inside then your door gear should have an active latch and the door just closes without locking when you pull it to

It may be that your latch is inactive and a little piece of plastic is slid up over it stopping it clicking in and out

It may be that you have both your handles on the same spindle through 1 hole only.
I would not expect door handle screws to line up if that is the case.

However if they are both on the same spindle then you need a pair of twin spindles let me know how you get on pls

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

I have 2 holes and a spindle going through each. The pad on the outside is going into the lower hole and the lever on the inside is going through the upper hole.

The latch is out, but doesn't seem to catch in the hole or something...as it doesn't keep the door closed. The only way to close the door is by ensure ing the multilock is disengaged, close the door and then lift the lever or pad to engage the multilock.

Not sure what to do...

right first with the door open mark with a pecil a line above and below the latch and mark on the frame a pencil ine where the latch keeper plate opening is then close the door and observe if the two pencil marks line up enough to let the latch engage

if not door wants adjusting to make this line up let me know

second if above is lined up ok then it maybe that the latch is not reaching the frame
i.e. the latch receiver plate is loose or badly set and wants adjusting to set it out further so the latch makes contact and does its job
It should become obvious what is wrong and loose latch keeper plates are very common.
again let me know

Thanks for your help!

I have just double checked and can see a metal plate over where the hole should be a catch the latch. If I remove the plate there is just the pvcu door frame behind and no hole. It appears that the latch has never been used... I can see how this would work now. Do I need to cut a hole in the pvcu with a chisel?? And screw a latch catch in?? Apologies if my terminology is incorrect.

I think it's called a latch keeper... Can you confirm if in need to screw one of those in? Thanks!!!

If its just having to put the key in the lock from the inside that bothers you how about a thumbturn euro cylinder?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1512...f11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

You can get them cheaper but thats a high security ABS one, Anti bump, Anti snap, Anti drill and pick. (make sure you get the right size).

Personally I'm not a big fan of split spindle locking, It promotes laziness of not engaging the full locking system. A door just locked on a latch can easily be kicked open and would likely invalidate an insurance policy.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
well if the plate you removed did not include the lock keeper
then for some strange reason you have no latch keeper plate

It is not normal to need a hole in the frame for the latch plate
as it is just something the latch can catch behind

If its possible look at someone else s door or visit a showroom that has doors in and study the latch arrangements on them

if it is a separate latch plate you should be able to find or fashion something to do the job or visit a window spares trade counter and see if they have what you want.
failing that could you fit an internal door latch plate.
remember your door gear is working fine and it is only the keeper set up that is preventing you from getting full use from it
good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back