Front door won't lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help !!!!, my upvc front door won't lock, you push handle up, then turn key And it locks, well all the hooks come out and go in as normal, except the key won't turn to lock them in position, the door opens n shuts ok, as I say all the hooks n square lever by handle go in n out, but key won't turn, so having to spend the night downstairs, help please !!!!!!!.

Forgot to mention, in the open position it's exactly the same, when you lift up handle all the hooks come out, but still key won't turn around enough to lock, have taken barrel out this morning, and the black thing in the middle turns fine via key so I presume rules this out.

Sponsored Links
Those hooks need to engage fully into the keeps on the frame like it does when you lift the handle up with the door open. If the keeps obstruct the last bit of the hook going over the key wont turn even though it feels like the handle is right up!
The door should be 4/5mm away from the keeps on the frame, anything too close or too far away could be the reason.
The other reason would be the door's drop, if you open the door and lift the handle you can then close the door against the frames and mark where the hooks are ending up when engaged. Once marked open door and see if the hook has clearance

Thank you, but the key wont even turn when handle is up and door is open,
Could you also tell me what the white plastic thingy with 3 springs is for, it's behind the outside handle.

The spring enable the handle to spring back to the starting position, if you remove it you'll notice the handle doesn't spring down when opening and spring back up. If you know how to change the barrel, quickly take one off another door if you have one and see that's the problem.
How old is the door??

Sponsored Links
I took the barrel out of this door, and the black thing in the middle goes round like it should, I can understand the door not locking when closed due to the frame or whatever, but it key still won't turn even when open.

Is the key going right in? A build up of swarf sometimes gets inside stopping the key going right in?
The black part on the barrel might be obstructed on something, have you tried another barrel in there?
Clutching here !! Hard without seeing it
Crank'll be the man

Thanks !!! Yes the key goes right in and turns, but not quite enough to Actually lock it, I've given everything a good squirt of wd40, talking to my neighbour a few doors down, and his door is causing problems, it has dropped and is difficult to shut (PVC) he reckons its due to the heat, but I still can't turn the key right round to lock even with handle up hooks out and open.

I have a similar-ish problem – since it's got so hot, it’s difficult for me to push the handle fully up to completely engage the rhino horns. If I force it, then the key turns and locks easily.

Do I need to adjust something, eg the striker plates for the horns maybe?

Or will I, like with a car door, regret it for the rest of my life if I try?

If you've swapped barrels and still have the same fault when trying to lock door with the door open i'd say it's the hook mechanism. They are pretty easy to get out. I had the same fault. When replacing make sure it's well adjusted as if you leave any stiffness when operating it'll fail early.

OK I suggest taking the mechanism out and spraying the hell out of the main gearbox with WD 40, if there's any obstruction in there it should get washed out, while you still have it out you can check it locks by putting the barrel in and also the spindle, if you were closer I'd come and do it for you

Hi, and thanks, how would I take, as you say main mechanism out, is it just a case of undoing screws on side of door, and lifting out metal strip then oiling, if so am I going to encounter any problems, like adjustment, resetting, or is it just a case of out, oil, in,

No its straight forward, handle off, spindle out, barrel out then take all the little self tapers out up and down the mechanism, but be careful here - only take out the self tapers, any that have a machine thread like a bolt put back in these hold the gearboxes on to the back of the mech, these screws will only be above and below the main gearbox and the hook gearboxes and are about 10mm long - the self tapers about an inch, there may also be 2 or 3 torx screws around the main gearbox, you can leave these on as they hold that on

Clean the gearbox out with wd40, do not under any circumstances be tempted to remove the lid off the lock case, the chances are springs and levers will ferrrrrding out, once cleaned out if you have any spray some lithium grease it, wd is too thin and will run out too quickly leaving little or no lube in there

Hi, I am having a similar problem...though it seems that the multiple hooks are getting engaged, I do think that the handle is only half moved. I am not sure if the problem is with the handle or any other mechanism of the door? The handle spindle is a nightlatch one with a spring. Would be very helpful if someone could suggest if changing handle will help? Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back