Can't remove the immersion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to renew my immersion heater at the moment. I am using a box-type spanner, the one with the built in tommy-bar. The cylinder is lagged so the standard type isn't an option.

I tried to get the immersion out, it wouldn't budge, so I squirted loads of WD-40 around it, every 30 minutes or so for a few hours. It STILL won't budge. I have even tried whacking it sharply with a hammer to try and loosen it. When I whacked it I heard what was probably limescale dropping off the element into the tank. Either that or bits of the element falling off!

I am putting so much force into it that the hot cylinder actually MOVED. Should it even be in that tight?!

Any ideas on how I can get the old immersion out, I don't want to replace the whole cylinder funnily enough!

Sponsored Links
You need a cast iron ring spanner, they're specially made for the job. One smart wack and it's off.

Would that help? I have been using something like this:

p1094199_l.jpg

I tried whacking the tommy bar sharply.

They do screw in the conventional direction, right? :confused:

Sometimes to solve a problem, all you need is a bigger hammer...

Big whack with a 4lb sledge hammer and it shifted! No evidence of PTFE on the threads, and no fibre washer. So it may have been overtightened by someone to stop a leak.

I will try to post a picture of the old element sometime, the sheath had gone so the live element was exposed to the water :eek:

I think I buckled the cylinder slightly in the process. :oops: Will be watching VERY carefully for leaks.

Sponsored Links
Cast iron spanners are not at all springy, and they transmit the shock better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back