cant sweat a joint

ES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried several times to solder a soft copper pipe coming from my well to a copper fitting where it was leaking.Each time the connection leaks. I replaced all the fittings and have soldered pipes before. Does anyone know what I can do other than a compression fitting to fix this problem.

Sponsored Links
Is the joint you are trying to solder totally dry, any moisture will ruin the joint. i know this from personal experience. The heat will also draw moisture / water along the pipe making it difficult even if it looks dry to start with. if not stick with compression fittings.

Joseph

As said, the pipes should be dry-any water will stop the process.
Also all the joint surfaces sould be cleaned (wire wool) until shiny bare metal shows all over and should not touched again with bare fingers execpt to apply a uniform smear of flux.
You will know when you're successful as the solder will melt the instant it touches the joint and disappears up around the gaps.

Sponsored Links
if you still can not do it after all the above advice go to your local hardware store and ask for

5027_l.jpg

its a copper push fit joint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back