Capping off a clay pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building an extension over an existing drain. A branch off the main drain now needs capping off. I've read various methods of capping off a clay drain pipe, but I'm unsure of best practice.

Plastic bag, hardcore and cement is one method.

Fitting a rubber cap or plug is another.

Also, do I need to cap off the pipe where it connects to the main drain, or can I get away with capping it off at the end that's nearer the surface?

Sponsored Links
A blind connection onto the foul run?

You mention in your original post capping of where it "joins the main drain" - is this at a chamber or, if not, what's your access to this point?

Sponsored Links
'a blind connection' - I guess it is! All this pipe work was under a patio I've dug up. I can see that the direction that the branch goes in (towards the main drain, about a metre away).

I thought - is there any point digging down and across to wear it connects to the main drain, or should I just cap it nearer to the surface. As I'm writing this I'm already thinking 'don't be a lazy b*****d and just dig out more'.

There are no access points that I'm aware off. Maybe there will be if I investigate further but I doubt it. The entire level is about 1ft below surface as it is.

Anyway, I'll cap off where it connects to the main drain.

Next question - which method is best practice for cutting and capping the pipe. Bear in mind I don't have those fancy clay pipe cutters!

Expose the connection - (my bet is there's a chamber under the patio).

Disc cutter to remove the redundant pipe and mortar the remaining stub - or inside the chamber, mortar up against an offcut of 4" waste laid in the channel to give you a smooth side to the run.

I admit as a DIYer I probably wouldn't be confident in filling a blind 4" hole up without also filling the main run, and would probably opt for:

11259extra.gif
Clay adaptor

with

13401.gif
a socket plug in the plastic end.

There's probably alternatives but they're what you're most likely to find in your DIY stores.

EDIT: I tell a lie. Toolstation sell these.

Cap as close to the main run as you can. Leaving a disused branch open is offering 5* accommodation for rats, and then capping it off near the surface? They'll find a way out, believe me! :eek:

Ok, I need to post this to shut my dad up...

He believes that no rats will go down a capped off drain. And if they did, they wouldn't get out a cemented on cap, even if they did get out of that - he believes it wouldn't matter as its 2 foot under the ground, which is under the solid floor extension. If a rat can't get out, whats the problem with them being there?

What can I say?

He believes that no rats will go down a capped off drain.

In the same way you don't enter the house when the back door's locked?

The rats may not be too much of a problem for your dad but it's a different matter if a sewage worker or river user gets weil's disease.

Rats should be kept out of drains wherever possible.

But I have no qualification in rat-catching.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back