Capping off a waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I had a new bathroom fitted a while back, I had a waste pipe coming from the sink and one from the bath these have now been contacted together.

But the old pipe that is no longer in use, has been crushed and some sort of sealant has been used to plug the gap, this has now began to leak. I live in a 4 storie block. My bathroom is next to my neighbours kitchen and this is the same for flats above and below me. The leak only happens when one of the neighbours lets water out of there sink.

What is the best way to stop this leak, i was thinking of sawing back to a round part of the pipe and using a push fit or a stop end?

Another problem is these are old blocks and i not sure of the size of the pipes? it looks bigger than 28mm
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Hard to tell much from the picture.

Is it copper?

It may well be old 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" waste, in which case, the easiest solution may be to cut it back square and use a universal compression waste coupling to join onto it with a cap in tother end.

It is 1 1/2" lead. Dig into the wall a bit and cut it back at a round(ish) bit. Cap off with a MCAlpine multifit union and a blank cap amd tell the neighbours to get the drains checked or put some oneshot down it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back