Connecting basin to old lead waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - first post. I inherited a leaking bathroom sink that looks like this:

5171134677_e501a12e08.jpg

Old lead U-bend to waste and some bodged bits of plastic connecting the sink. I've taken the plastic away, and am left with sink and old lead U-bend. Is there any good way of connecting the sink to the waste pipe (which has no fitting) so that it won't leak?

A complete replacement of the old lead pipe back behind the wall I guess is the long term answer, but I'm wondering if I can do something in the short term to make the basin usable.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Do something similar but seal it with http://www.ct1ltd.com/ct1.html

You need the top part of a plastic adjustable trap to screw onto the sink waste bowl. Ram the other end of this inside the lead and seal with CT1.

Sponsored Links
cut the lead nearer the wall and push 32mm pipe into it.be carefull not to go right into stack outside if its straight behind it.then seal around pipe.this lets you use plastic trap and fittings etc.

The lead bit is the trap, you need to put a new trap on if you do this.

Cut an inch off the top of the trap,short piece of 1 1/4 copper pipe soldered into the lead, 32mm plastic socket onto copper and then adapter from basin thread to the plastic.Seemples

Seemples eh? Is he going to have to buy a 3 metre length of 1 &1/4" copper??!!

Sorry to hijack your post but is this CT1 sealer any good ,I'm looking for a good long lasting sealer for around wetwall to shower tray area , also around enclosure to tray ,most sealer are too thin and soft and peel off after a while,I have tried Mapei recently seems a bit tougher but time will tell ,who stocks CT1 and how much?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back