Old Lead pipe connection to new plastic??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the basin in my bathroom - the exisitng waster and u bend is made from old lead pipe. The waster then flows under the floor, through a wall and out to the waste.

I'm keen to cut the lead and connect it to a new u bend made of plastic.

Problem - the lead is not perfectly round - can I connect plastic to this (even if I find a round section) - if so, how do I do this?

Alternative - I could connect the basin waste into the soil pipe that runs from the toilet (this is boxed in in the bathroom at the moment in an S shape from toilet to waste stack outside - how would I connect the smaller pipe to the thicker waste pipe in this instance.

If anyone can help me for both exmples then I'll go with the easiest (I think option is favourite!)

cheers

Sponsored Links
Get rid of the lead and connect to the soil pipe using a strap on boss this is fixed to the large pipe with a clip and solvent cement after a hole is drilled in it. screw fix catolgue no is 11852 PUSHFIT WASTE STRAP ON BOSS.

As you had lead the main soil pipe is presumably cast iron? In which case a strap on boss won't work. YOu should be able to make the lead round enough to use a compression waste fitting on it. Gentle heat will make the lead a bit easier to move (hair dryer).

Sponsored Links
ChrisR

Yes - the waste stack is cast iron. I could put a msal extension on it plastic as another option - can you connect the modern plastic stck to the iron equivalent? If not, I will dig out the hair dryer....

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back