CAR BATTERY - WHAT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY??

Thanks for your interest. No, the battery wasn't returned, but having mentioned it registered 6V the supplier and warranty firm immediately said that a reading lower than 10.6V voids the warranty.

Understandable that they might set such a condition, but a battery below 10.6v could be due to it either being faulty, or abused.

I'm not sure what "magic" charger a garage might use but mine is fairly sophisticated, it charges various battery types and the voltage and amp settings can be changed - I've tried various combinations.

One of the problems with modern, more sophisticated chargers, is that the will not even attempt to begin charging a deeply discharged battery, if they have dropped below maybe 10 or 11v. The workaround, is to temporarily connect a second good battery, in parallel with both battery and charger for a while - long enough to get some voltage into the battery.

Sponsored Links
I
Thanks for your interest. No, the battery wasn't returned, but having mentioned it registered 6V the supplier and warranty firm immediately said that a reading lower than 10.6V voids the warranty. I didn't check the voltage after the initial charge but it must have been fine as I started the car 5 or 6 times thereafter without problem.
I'm confused as well, not by the OP but the battery's suppliers' constant reference to 'below 10.6 voids the warranty'
Surely any battery that becomes faulty is, dependent on the cause, liable to give a low voltage reading & I wouldn't have thought a battery that low would even turn the engine over, never mind started it a number of times as the OP points out.

I

I'm confused as well, not by the OP but the battery's suppliers' constant reference to 'below 10.6 voids the warranty'
Surely any battery that becomes faulty is, dependent on the cause, liable to give a low voltage reading & I wouldn't have thought a battery that low would even turn the engine over, never mind started it a number of times as the OP points out.
Agree.

A faulty battery (it cannot hold its charge) may have any voltage reading. It doesn't on its own, make it faulty. If it only reads 6volts it would not be turning the engine over.

Something about this doesn't add up to me.

Just noticed this.
The battery had a 4 years warranty through another company .

Your warranty is with who you bought if from, nobody else

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back