Car history.

I had a BX too.

Probably the best car I ever had. Nothing from Citroen since then has been comparable either.
I could almost have become slightly aroused by the Xantia Activa, but other than that, I'm inclined to agree with you.

Sponsored Links
Something that made me admire the styling, engineering. performance, or whatever. I used to positively enjoy working on them, and somehow, even topping up the screenwash on that BX was just a chore. Not because it was difficult, but because it was just such a "vanilla" car for me.
A bit harsh, Avocet. The BX shape came from the pencil of one Marcello Gandini and he hasn't half designed some cool stuff over the years. My only experience of the model was a mate's GTI version which he had for a few years. Pretty decent performance but I think it was eventually taken by the tin worm. Get what you mean by it not being as 'citroenisic' as a DS or CX, though. :(

A bit harsh, Avocet. The BX shape came from the pencil of one Marcello Gandini and he hasn't half designed some cool stuff over the years. My only experience of the model was a mate's GTI version which he had for a few years. Pretty decent performance but I think it was eventually taken by the tin worm. Get what you mean by it not being as 'citroenisic' as a DS or CX, though. :(
Aye, and Gandini came up with some absolute crackers, like the achingly beautiful Lambo Miura, but I think he had a bad day when he did the BX! It can happen to anyone, of course ;) . Robert Opron did the (I think) gorgeous Citroen CX, but he also did the utterly hideous Alfa SZ!

Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, G??? ???, great fun naturally, big end went, went to the scrap yard, owned for about 3 years.
Freddy, so many big-ends (that's just one ) ! Did you never change the oil, or never take your foot off the loud-pedal ? Also a lot of dealing within the family ! Do they still speak to you ?

Sponsored Links
Yea, a bit of a recurring theme there, that said Mini big ends are only so good.
A three bearing crank mate that whipped like hell on the longer stroke motors (1100cc). If there ever was a need for a pulley crank damper, this was it!
John :)
I had a theory after changing the pump twice on my Austin 1100 and seeing the pump rotors heavily pitted. The engine and gearbox share the same oil. The oil goes to the pump first and then through the filter. However, I think that swarf from the gears ruins the pump rotors resulting in loss of pressure. That’s my theory anyway!

I had a BX too.

Probably the best car I ever had. Nothing from Citroen since then has been comparable either.
I had an estate BX years ago, 1998 1.9 diesel. Great car in all respects other than the heating which was very poor in winter. That was followed by a turbo 1.9 Xantia estate which despite having comfortable seats managed to give me backache on anything other than short runs.

I've run E34 & E39 BMW's in recent years & for ride comfort they are very nearly the equal of the Citroens.

I had an estate BX years ago, 1998 1.9 diesel. Great car in all respects other than the heating which was very poor in winter. That was followed by a turbo 1.9 Xantia estate which despite having comfortable seats managed to give me backache on anything other than short runs.

I've run E34 & E39 BMW's in recent years & for ride comfort they are very nearly the equal of the Citroens.
And that last point is an interesting discussion in its own right! For all the super-soggy suspension that the Citroens used to have, actual "ride comfort" is made up of a whole load of factors besides just being able to absorb bumps. Noise, harshness, vibration, but also the supportiveness of the seats and control of body pitch and roll. Often, quite stiffly sprung and heavily damped cars can be perceived as more "comfortable" than ones with very soft suspension.

Mind you, NOTHING (but nothing), could take speed humps like my old DS! For all that, it wasn't a car that I'd particularly look forward to getting into and driving (say) 300 miles.

And that last point is an interesting discussion in its own right! For all the super-soggy suspension that the Citroens used to have, actual "ride comfort" is made up of a whole load of factors besides just being able to absorb bumps. Noise, harshness, vibration, but also the supportiveness of the seats and control of body pitch and roll. Often, quite stiffly sprung and heavily damped cars can be perceived as more "comfortable" than ones with very soft suspension.

Mind you, NOTHING (but nothing), could take speed humps like my old DS! For all that, it wasn't a car that I'd particularly look forward to getting into and driving (say) 300 miles.
You make a good point. Perhaps I should have worded my post more specifically & made it clear that when it came to the BM I was referring to the cars' ability to absorb the 'undulations' of todays' poorly maintained roads whilst still retaining the ability to handle well if driven with verve.

Sponsored Links
Back