Car inspection pit fills with water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a car inspection pit in my garage. It was there when we moved in. I use it occasionally so don’t want to fill it in.

The walls are brick. The floor is concrete. The mortar between the bricks is loose in places and needs pointing.

In winter the pit fills with water. I think it is coming in through or more likely between the bricks, not up through the floor.

I would like to stop this, preferably now while it’s reasonably dry - even in this heat the bricks look damp.

What would be the best approach - repoint then coat the bricks with a waterproofing layer or render the whole lot?

suggestions please…

TIA
Dave

Sponsored Links
Doubtful anything will work short of lining it with a membrane and then fixing something against it (ie a single skin masonry wall) to hold it in position.but try repointing and a coating by all means.

I can't see anything working other than rebuilding the retaining walls using a waterproofer in the mortar and back filling with waterproof concrete.

If stopping the water doesnt work then a puddle sucker/ hopper pump will reduce the water level down to 1mm.

Sponsored Links
If stopping the water doesnt work then a puddle sucker/ hopper pump will reduce the water level down to 1mm.
i already have a 12volt bilge pump in there with a float switch but even when it’s not full it’s still a damp environment and not good for my 20 year old car

You could fit a dimpled membrane from the likes of newlath though whilst that would give you dry walls to the touch you'd still need a pump to pump any water out that drained down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back