Carefully removing floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping you can provide a bit of advice. I would like to get rid of a badly laid tiled bathroom floor (floor wasn't overboarded before tiled...long story). The tiles are porcelain and are fixed with a flexible adhesive (sorry, don't know what brand was used).

I understand that you can just go at the whole lot with a hammer and chisel but am worried about what damage this could do to an otherwise well fitted bathroom. For example, the vibrations of the hammering could damage the grout on the wall tiles, etc.

So what is the best way to carefully remove floor tiles. Time is not an issue, if it takes an hour a tile, then so be it, there's no rush.

Thanks for you help, and if you want any more info let me know.

Sponsored Links
Hammer and bolster and SAFETY GLASSES! If you've tiled onto ply, you will probably damage the surface of that to some extent. Might be ok to retile on top of though, but if big chunks come up then you'll need to replace that too.

It will be hard going if the adhesive has set properly, use a dust sheet over the sink etc if you are worried, prop up some sheets of something, hardboard, ply, cardboard whatever to protect the walls. (you probably won't need to though)

Thanks for the advice.

It wasn't me personally that laid the floor. We had our bathroom fitted by a professional home improvement guy. I was away the week it was done, and left some instructions for my good wife. One thing I didn't tell her was to make sure that he overboarded with ply, as I assumed that was standard knowledge to floot tilers (more fool me!).

As a result he tiled straigt onto the chipboard(!) floor, and as you can imagine, the grout is coming away around the tiles furthest from the joists, and some tiles may even be starting to lift.

It's really odd, because he did everything else well.

Anyway, I docan't really re-tile because we had fitted furniture put in, and combined with the position of the bath it would make the floor too high.

So I am not too bothered about damaging the floor tiles themselves, I am most concearned with damaging the wall tiles and their grouting because of the vibration from the hammering, but if that is the best way to do it, so be it. I will go slowly and carefully.

Thanks again.

P.s. some one once told me you can soften adhesive up with a hair dryer, is there any truth in this?

Sponsored Links
That big mutt recommendation jogged my memory. Last time I lifted tiles, I used a small wrecking bar, hammering into the side of the tile. Faster and gives better control than a standard bolster, less chance of bashing your hand too.

You'll need one of the ones that are right angled to the handle, like the gorilla bar

Thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens!

If I remember correctly though, on top of the chipboard was a really thing vinyl layer (like a couple of mm), which I guess was put down when the house was built as some kind of water protection. I'll let you know if that makes any difference to the removal!

Hi guys,

Quick follow up question - between the tiles and the chipboard floor is a thin vinyl layer (which I assume was put on to protect the water from the floor).

If I am removing the tiles, is the tile adhesive likely to be stronger than the stuff used to glue down the vinyl.

The reason I ask is I am wondering what state the chipboard will be in - will removing the adhesive damage the chip board?

I can't really rip up the chipboard and replace with something else, because it runs under furniture, so there would be nothing supporting it if I had to remove the floor!

Plan was just to remove the tiles and then lay some lino or similar....

wedge - my own view is that the tile adhesive hasn't bonded with the top of the old vinyl layer. If this is the case then the tiles may come up fairly easily and not damage the sub-floor (try lifting a tile to see if this happens). As you plan to lay a new vinyl (or lino) floor covering do this over the old vinyl, which after it's been cleaned and prepared will give you a flat surface for the new stuff. If you try to lift all the old stuff from the chipboard then it's likely you'll damage it's flat surface, thus preventing your new stuff easily being installed.

Thanks Symptons.

I shall follow your advice. For the tiles that have stuck a bit better to the vinyl I will aim the chisel between the tile and the vinyl rather than the vinyl and the chipboard.

What's the best way to prep the old vinyl - just scrape the adhesive off, or something else?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back