Carpet adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am going to do some work in the bedroom which requires lifting and re-fitting carpet and underlay. It was laid 2-3 years ago. I tried to lift carpet edge from the skirting but it seems that it's like glued to the floor so I now thinking if I need to use carpet adhesive on edges or just fit new grippers and that's it?

To be fair I didn't put much effort to lift the carpet.

Thanks for advice/guidance

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If it's been glued, then there may not be enough spare carpet to then push down behind the grippers. You can get get cans of spray adhesive to redo the job afterwards.

if its felt back carpet probley put down with flooring tape holds like glue

f it's been glued, then there may not be enough spare carpet to then push down behind the grippers.
Thanks Doggit, this is not going to be an issue as total area to be covered by the carpet will be less in both length and width. So I understand it is a normal practice to use spray glue? Is it better to use spray or tape when laying it back?

if its felt back carpet probley put down with flooring tape holds like glue
not a feltback, it's a carpet with standard secondary backing laid on foam underlay, 3 years back

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Somethings not quite right. Do you mean that it was a hessian backed carpet laid on underlay, and they'd both been glued together. You either get feltback carpet glued down with spray can adhesive, or you get hessian backed carpet on top of underlay, held down by grippers.

Yes hessian backed carper, laid on underlay and grippers. I don't think carpet and foam underlay were glued together but have not lifted the carpet yet, was planning to do it tomorrow.

I am pretty sure fitters used grippers originally (must have as they used them on the staircase which I had to lift some time back). When I tried to pull the edge of the carpet couple days back to see how easy it can be removed but got a feeling that the edges are glued to something, so I thought may be I was missing something and professional fitters always use glue together with grippers.

could it be that grippers' hold is so tight that gives impression that it was glued? if so - what would be the best way to lift it - just pinch with something and pull towards skirting board?

Have just lifted 2 room size carpets which were held by grippers and they needed a strongish pull to realease them.

Thanks a lot guys, turns out I panicked as carpet was easily removed once I pulled the first corner properly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back