Glueing carpet down if beading in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i've just had a new carpet laid and the fitter has cut it to exactly the room size and glued it in place. The edges have not been knocked down between the skirting and the grippers. He says he had to do this because there was a bead in place between the skirting and floorboards. He says that the carpet will not fray at the edges and will be fine. As the edges are exposed I am concerned that they will fray and that the edge is not tidy enough. The old carpet was attached to grippers. There is a bead in place. Is glueing carpet in place good practise? If I take the bead out, will it be possible to have this carpet fitted to the grippers or is it too small now its been cut to the room size?

Sponsored Links
You want to be complaining. Secondary backed carpet must be stretch fitted using underlay and gripper. You can glue carpet down but must be fully bonded to the subfloor or special underlay that it is fully glued to. Not just around the edge. The beading around the edge should of been removed before fitting and replaced with new after if there is a gap visible under the skirts. (will need to be re painted after) Or your skirts removed and correctly fitted so there is no gap. Of course this is not down to the fitter to do but you should of been made aware of the beading problem by the person who came out to measure your room. Really a good decorator should point out the problem to, as most people have room painted before they go to buy a carpet.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, that's really helpful. The skirtings are just painted, but I did them myself so no decorator to point out the problem. I also measured the room myself, but I do think the fitter should have told me about the beading problem before pressing on with the job. Do you think the carpet will be too small now to fit to grippers and knock down at the edges - is it possible that I will need to be asking for another carpet?

if i had come to install your carpet i would of pointed out the problem to you but not every fitter will do this. It will mean more work for them or they dont fit the carpet which means a job not paying there wages. I dought very much you will be able to stretch the carpet in place now. I think you might struggle to get replacement carpet either as you measured your own room and not had anyone do a home visit. You can maybe put a complaint in that you feel it is not fitted correct ( no gripper and not stretched) You will have to see.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back