Badly fitted carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Looking for some advice on a carpet I had laid in the last month.
When hoovering last week a thread from one edge of the carpet came loose and was sucked up the hoover! This has left a frayed-looking edge.
On examining that edge it looks like the carpet has been cut to fit that wall, rather than bent over and secured with gripper rods like the rest of the carpet. i had the room measured by the store and had their fitter do the job (and had to get Hubby to install a 'threshold' as the carpet was not wide enough).
My question is - should I complain about this? I can't imagine they'll replace the carpet as it's a big room...
Any advice?
Thanks Vicky

Sponsored Links
If they measured the room, cut & fitted the carpet & got it wrong it's their fault & I would expect them rectify their mistake; even if that means replacing the carpet! Not sure what you mean by “had to get Hubby to install a 'threshold' as the carpet was not wide enough”; is this at the door? Why did the carpet store not fit a threshold, it’s normally part of the job!

Thanks Richard.

What I mean by 'threshold' is that our downstairs is sort of open plan (difficult to describe!) - we broke up the length of the room with a wooden board (matches beams, so looks better than one of the shop metal things) rather than having a join in the carpet.

I just wanted to know if cutting the carpet rather than folding it over and securing was normal, acceptable practice...as I suspect the shop will deny there is a problem.

Vicky

Thanks Richard.
I just wanted to know if cutting the carpet rather than folding it over and securing was normal, acceptable practice...as I suspect the shop will deny there is a problem.
What type of carpet is it? Felt/foam back is cut dead size to the room & stuck down around the edges; Hessian or woven carpet is fitted by stretching it over grippers around the edge of the room; I don’t know any carpet that is folded over & secured!

Call the shop back in; if it’s Hessian or woven, it may just be the carpet has relaxed & needs re-stretching onto the grippers. If its felt/foam back, then it may well have been cut undersize!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I have just phoned the shop and the fitter is coming back on friday to have a look.

It's a felt layer on the underside of the carpet, then a plastic weave with a berber carpet on that. I'm not sure how it's laid down, only I can't see the edges so I thought it was bent over. Except on this one edge where it could well have been cut short as the wool has frayed off leaving the plastic backing rather on display!

We will see what they say, however, Googling this particular company's name I see there are quite a lot of dissatisfied customers....

Thanks

The original fitter would have cut the carpet slightly short of the wall and then pushed it tight (stretching it a bit) with his knee tool up to the wall and onto the gripper batten.

With a bit of luck the fitter will be able to get a bit more stretch out of the carpet and push the frayed edge up against the wall.

Would that be carpetright by any chance ?

In my experience they are real cowboys with their never ending 60% off sales. All they do is inflate prices to start with and then take 60% off all the time. I have found better prices and better service from local independent firms.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back