carpet and skirting board painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Diy newbie here.

I am looking to refresh all the woodwork in the bedroom and the skirting board might prove challenging as per carpet. Is that lift the carpet? Would I be able to put it back safely?

when I had a quick look, it seems that the carpet is pretty sticking to the floor... :(

Many thanks,

Attachments

• 20200613_193404_resized.jpg
    20200613_193404_resized.jpg
    399 KB · Views: 300
  • 20200613_193410_resized.jpg
    20200613_193410_resized.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 261
  • 20200613_193514_resized.jpg
    20200613_193514_resized.jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 20200613_193536_resized.jpg
    20200613_193536_resized.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
The carpet looks normal, i.e. it is kept in place by gripper rods. They are wooden strips running next to the skirting boards that have pins sticking up and pointing toward the shirting. After trimming the carpet to fit, the carpet layer uses a carpet kicker to stretch the carpet. The gripper rods old the carpet in place and then the fitter uses a wide carpet chisel to tuck the carpet in to the gap between the gripper rod and skirting.

If you lift the carpet off the gripper rods you may find that you need to use a carpet kicker to re-stretch it after redecorating.

I tend to leave the carpet as is and tuck 50mm masking tape in to the gap at the edge of the carpet. I generally use a stiff dusting brush to push the tape down but you can use a filling knife to push it down (taking care not to puncture the tape). When painting, try to minimise any paint build up between the tape and skirting otherwise it will leave a line that is visible once the tape is removed. Any excess can be scraped off with a finger nail though.

Use a crevice nozzle to vacuum the gap before using the tape.

The gripper rods holding the carpet in position will most likely have to be removed to give to the clearance to remove the old skirting. Once the new skirting is installed the gripper rods can be put back in place and the carpet put back down. It may be worth considering an small angle pry bar to remove the skirting, worked wonders for me. Also the carpet will want to lay flat so worth having something heavy enough to hold it out of the way.

sorry I read that as renewing the skirting. If painting use the masking tape as suggested

Saw a tip on the old tip thread that parcel tape (the brown stuff) works really well as masking tape for carpet when you're doing skirting boards as you can push the carpet down/away more.

Not tried it yet though.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Everybody for your feedback! greatly appreciated - and great news as it is going to give me the confidence to do the skirting board without the need of a new carpet.
Happy Me! what would I do without all your support and expertise! :)

Oh this was only the bedroom wood work

But what about the lounge / corridor –

There is I believe a wood imitation laminated floor with a small white border (I believe to hide imperfection)

Should I take that side white border (between the floor and the skirting board out? should that be painted too? or not or leave it as it is.

I guess skirting board are from origin, Floor was redone and then the little white things were added so to hide the imperfection – I guess a better job when the floor was done, would have been to take out the skirting board out so to allow to put them back and hide the imperfection?

Or am I overthinking?

Question – what kind of tool should I use to try to loose them out? Or should I just tape them?

I might be overthinking – but best preparation means better finished at the end and better result.

Attachments

• 20200614_134721_resized.jpg
    20200614_134721_resized.jpg
    497.1 KB · Views: 360
  • 20200614_134724_resized.jpg
    20200614_134724_resized.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200614_134733_resized.jpg
    20200614_134733_resized.jpg
    502.2 KB · Views: 332
The quadrant trim is to cover the expansion gap needed for the wood/laminate floor. Personally I think the skirting and quadrant would look better painted together.
Try and slide masking tape under the trim or use cardboard to prevent it running onto the floor.

You can remove the trim, just need to understand if it is pinned or glued in place. Prise it off, paint the skirting and re-attach

Thanks for this - i was wondering if that was the reason or not.

The quadrant trim is to cover the expansion gap needed for the wood/laminate floor.

It is glue as i do not see any pin - so yes either i paint it all together or I try to undue it without breaking it -
preferred the second option as would be a neater / nicer job even thought might take a bit longer in prep to undo and put it back.

I guess to removed the quadrand - was thinking about some spatula knife option and see if that i can lift it.

What kind of glue would i be using to glue it back?

Loads of options, something like a no more nails or should be fine but you shouldnt need much. You can always caulk the gaps if needed once in place.
In truth it would probably be easier and quicker to paint once the trim is removed. You don’t have to worry as much about painting the floor

It is glue as i do not see any pin - so yes either i paint it all together or I try to undue it without breaking it -
preferred the second option as would be a neater / nicer job even thought might take a bit longer in prep to undo and put it back.

I guess to removed the quadrand - was thinking about some spatula knife option and see if that i can lift it.

I bought one of these the other day and it proved pretty useful for a similar job, and others since. A scraper may come in handy too.

https://www.toolstation.com/prep-premier-heavy-duty-multi-tool-scraper/p22287

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back