Carpet questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I am having a carpet fitted in my large open plan living/dining room on thursday and have some quick questions. I have gone for a decent woven back carpet and the thicker of the foam underlay that was for sale. Also the floor I have is concrete with some thin tiles over most of the room

1. I have some gaps under the skirting of about 0.5 cm in a couple of places. Will this be a problem? and what sort of gap can you get away with? Taking of all the skirting or levelling the floor is not possible now.

2. Along where some gripper rods will go there are some broken bits of old tiles. Now rather than removing all the tiles can I just fill the gaps with cement or laytex self leveling compound?

The reason I ask this is I don't want gaps to get bigger under the skirting where the tiles would be removed. I know I should probably rip all the tiles up but I have been stupid and left things to the last minute (not thinking I would have problems).

3. There a slight incline on the floor in the middle of the room where some walls have been knocked out previously. If I hold my 1 metre spirit level from the highest point to the lowest it shows as being level. Is this just a matter of pouring some self levelling compound out and let it do its job?

You can feel these inclines under the carpet but only because someone previously has put a harsh wedge of cement where the existing walls use to be rather than going for a gradual incline.

Thanks for your time and sorry if I seem abit stupid. I am new to the whole DIY scene and am learning by the mistakes I have made so far. I know the correct answer to all my questions is remove all tiles and level the whole floor but I really can't afford to do this as my room is 10 x 5 metres. Also I only have 2 days.

Sponsored Links
Presumably, the room has already been inspected and surveyed by the supplier. During that visit the customer can expect the supplier's representative to discuss the existing floor and what the owner should do to prepare for fitment and outline any cost that might be incurred if the floor is not properly prepped and has to be done by the supplier's contractor.

So, what happened when the supplier's rep visited? Or is this a case of you buying the carpet and getting a mate to lay it for you?

Whichever is the case, you need to discuss these problems with the person who will be laying the caropet.

You should be able to delay the fitting, surely?

Presumably, the room has already been inspected and surveyed by the supplier. During that visit the customer can expect the supplier's representative to discuss the existing floor and what the owner should do to prepare for fitment and outline any cost that might be incurred if the floor is not properly prepped and has to be done by the supplier's contractor.

So, what happened when the supplier's rep visited? Or is this a case of you buying the carpet and getting a mate to lay it for you?

Whichever is the case, you need to discuss these problems with the person who will be laying the caropet.

You should be able to delay the fitting, surely?

They did come to inspect yes but when the room was fully carpeted and furnished. Most of the problems were not noticable untill I lifted the carpet and any that was, the rep said to just level out. Now I am sure after abit of levelling it will be fine for the fitters, I just want to make sure and do as much as I can before hand.

I probably could delay the carpet but due to a heavily pregnant missus I wont get away with it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back