Carpet size tolerance advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently ordered a 4m width carpet and when it arrived it was actually 13ft. This wouldn't normally be a problem but my room width is 3980mm and the carpet was 3960, therefore too short. The fitters did a good job at stretching the carpet but I am not too happy how it looks at my door threshold (looks a bit threadbare).

I've complained to the carpet store, firstly I shouldn't have been recommended a 4m carpet when I took in room measurement of 3980mm and secondly when the carpet turned up it was only 3960mm. They say its all my fault because I ordered the wrong size carpet and all carpets have a tolerance although this isn't written anywhere on their terms and conditions and it was never mentioned to me.

Where do I stand with respect to carpet size tolerance, from what I've read on the net the max. tolerance is 1.25cm no matter what size of carpet. Is this correct.

Sponsored Links
If you took the dimensions in, then its there fault.
If you said you wanted 4m, then why should they tell you it will come up at 3.8 etc..
Although if a 4m carpet is not 4m then its a trading standards issue.
I have no idea of tollerances in carpets hav you had a look at manufactures/suppliers to see what they say.

i cant remember what the tolerance is with carpet but off the top of my head on a 4meter carpet it can come in 4cm short. Think its 1.25 % This in my eyes is wrong but they are allowed to do this. Its not the retailer at fault but the manufacturer. But when you measure a room for a carpet you should also allow 10cm minimum in width and length. This is a standard which is taught to the trade. As you are just under 4meter wide you should of brought either a 5 meter carpet ( with loads of waste ) or be prepared to have a join! As the carpet has been fitted now you will find they may be able to stretch a little more out of it , give them a bell and ask them to stretch it a bit more into the door strip.

Sponsored Links
I found the statement below on a carpets site terms and conditions. The thing is the shop I bought my carpet from has terms and conditons on the back of the invoice but no mention of carpet size tolerance. Due to their attitude I don't really want anymore to do with them. I paid with credit card so have passed the matter to them on the basis I was given bad advice in purchasing a 4m carpet when I gave them room size of 3980mm and secondly the carpet turned up as 3960mm and it was never mentioned to me about carpet tolerance. If the staement below is correct the carpet falls outside acceptable tolerance level anyway.

"Size Tolerance
All sizes quoted are approximate. Very slight variations are unavoidable and a tolerance of plus or minus ½" (1.25cm) is allowable in accordance with clause 3 of British Standard 3655 of 1981."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back