Carpet Underlay and Door Bar Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

Looking for some advice on underlays and whether to have door bars or heat welding (I think that's what they called it) on the thresholds.

We are currently getting quotes for a potential move to a new house, we would like the bedrooms, landing, stairs and sitting room carpeted.

The quotes we have had so far have all quoted for Cosi 8 or 10 underlay, yet from what I have been reading it would be better to have a felt and crumb, the carpet is a Westex prestige velvet.

Wanted to check for advice here.

Also wanted to get your advice on whether we need door bars or if we can go for the heat welding?

My wife would like the continuous look upstairs, so would like to avoid door bars, one place has said the carpet needs to be gripped all round, if we do not have door bars we risk bubbles, another has said if the carpet is fitted correctly then it would be fine.

Would welcome your thoughts.

Kind regards

David

Sponsored Links
An underlay like Axminster Axfelt65 would be better than puFoam and shouldn't be significantly more expensive. Seams will bed down better, the carpet will wear more evenly and keep it's appearence better and it will be a lot more insulating too. It will be a little firmer rather than squishy under foot.

If you have seams in the doorways, pile direction and carpet grade will be vital to all match or else there will be shade differences where the carpets meet. The Westex ranges are available in 5 widths and will all colour match so long as all areas are in the same grade, however if everything runs in the same direction, you may require seams in rooms or incur extra wastage.

It is true that the architraves (door frames) may appear slightly more bubbly if you don't have door bars because the room carpet will have to be tensioned off the landing and it just won't be as tight as stretching into a doorbar. I wouldn't let this worry me.

An alternative would be to fit everything on system10 underlay and fitting system, this would resolve any potential bubble by will eradicated, the install would be a little firmer underfoot, would look stunning though.

Thanks for your reply crazydave, that's very helpful.

I have not heard about the System10 underlay and fitting system, I'll take a look and also ask the shops when we get some more quotes.

Will definitely avoid PU underlay, we have a version of that now and have not been overly impressed to be honest, so either the Axminster (or similar alternative) or the System10 sound ideal, especially if they help reduce the need for door bars.

Do you have a shop?

Are you able to give me the name of it so I can contact you, I would be interested in getting a quote for supply and fit of carpet and underlay (if that is allowed under the rules)?

Appreciate your help.

Kind regards

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back